Thursday, October 28, 2010

OCTOBER 28, 2010 ITS NOT WINTER--






"No man is your enemy, no man is your friend, every man is your teacher."

Thanks Rick

"The most difficult times for many of us are the ones we give ourselves." Thanks Karen

How earth shattering is the second quote. I have found that we are our worst enemies. Do you sabotage yourself? Who hasn't . We start to listen to the committee in our heads. We have expectations and then we get disappointed. Have you heard that before? Life does not have to be that difficult. Life is simple if we want it to be. Some of us seem to function better in chaos and drama . I used to be one of those individuals. Now, chaos creates havoc in my life. It threatens my existence. It threatens my peacefulness and serenity. I want only peace. Family drama and relationship drama for any person can create chaos. Communication is the key. You may have to distance yourself. Remember the first quote--no one is your enemy, no one is your friend --all (even those you may see as enemies) are your teachers. You learn from everyone if you allow yourself to do that.


One of the earliest plants that I became familiar with was foxglove. When I was young my brother and I were limited to a 'lot' of trees and plants at the end of our street. It wasn't a big area, less than a 1/2 mile long. No one except the neighborhood kids went there. We used to build forts. I remember building a thick wall of bushes (brier to be exact). My brother Paul, David, Richie and I made pretend camps --all make believe. I used to dig up plants from "the lot" and put them in milk containers. I would transport them back to my backyard and replant them.

One of those plants had an intoxicating smell. If the leaf was torn or scraped and I took in a deep breath--it had a distinct smell. I didn't know what it was but I knew my Poppy would know. He did --it was wintergreen. 'Wintergreen' once commonly referred to plants that continue photosynthesis (remain green) throughout the winter. The term evergreen is now more commonly used for this characteristic. My Poppy asked where we got it. I told him and he asked me to bring some more, but not take them all. For years later, we had wintergreen with their berries in our backyard. I do know that he made flavored ice tea with the leaves.

The medicinal uses of wintergreen are related to the oils found in the wintergreen leaf. It contains the chemical methyl salicylate, which is related to aspirin. So it can be used as pain relief medicine. It does make a great mouthwash and has a soothing effect on the gums.


A good formula for arthritis/rheumatism
To be taken internally...
1. Oregon grape root - 6 parts
2. parsley root- 6 parts
3. Sassafras - 3 parts
4. Prickly ash bark - 3 parts
5. Black cohosh - 3 parts
6. Ginger root - 2 parts

Make a tea using one ounce of herbs to a pint of water, simmered for thirty minutes.
One to two cups per day.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment