Thursday, October 7, 2010

OCTOBER 7, 2010 A HAPPY THYROID






“Everyone wants happiness; nobody wants to suffer. Many problems around us are a mental projection of certain negative or unpleasant things. If we analyze our own mental attitude, we may find it quite unbearable. Therefore, a well-balanced mind is very useful and we should try and have a stable mental state.” --the Dali Lama

“I believe that lovers should be draped in flowers/ And laid entwined together in a bed of clover/ Left there to sleep/ Left there to dream of happiness.”

The first quote is profound. Of course it is--it comes from the Dali Lama. How can you be happy without a well-balanced mind? I thought I could, but when I thought I was happy I realized I was missing something. I was out of balance. I was missing the 'boy' within me. I was doing everything for everyone, except I forgot to include me. I didn't think I deserved happiness. Do you deserve happiness? Everyone deserves happiness and everyone wants happiness. I see suffering around me every single day. I try to ease suffering. I want to make people smile. It is hard to make people laugh in times of suffering. I have found to be stable you need the balance of body, mind and spirit. This comes back to my seven lifestyle changes- dietary, exercise, addiction, meditation, self esteem, anger/resentment and self love. Happiness can be achieved when all are in some sort of balance. Remember not perfection, but progress...

The second quote can be achieved when you are truly happy. Who cannot picture two lovers draped in flowers. What flowers would you have around you? Think about that! Can you imagine the colors, the smell and the beauty? Sleeping among petals of every flower. Candles lit--you both smile at the same time.

It is important to discuss dietary concerns when discussing thyroid function. The autoimmune thyroid disease, thyroiditis or Hashimoto's is linked to gluten sensitivity. I do think endocrinologists even discuss this when telling a patient he/she has Hashimoto's thyroidits. Is this autoimmune disease common? It occurs in 90% of all cases diagnosed with low thyroid function, also called hypothyroidism. The protein portion of gluten, called gliadin closely resembles the structure of the thyroid. When gliadin protein leaves the gut and enters the bloodstream it is then recognized as a foreign protein that stimulates antibodies. These antibodies tag the gliadin and at the same time attack the thyroid, thus making thyroid antibodies, TPO and thyroglobulin. The thyroid peroxidase antiodies (TPO) are more significant in Hashimoto's . Thus you must eliminate gluten (think 'BROW' - barley, rye, oats and wheat) from the diet. Healing the intestinal lining of the small intestines is critical to feeling better.

Many medications (conventional ) can disrupt thyroid function. Some of these are antibiotics, antacids, coumadin, pain medications and many more.

Consuming tyrosine containing foods (which thyroid hormones are made from) can support the thyroid. Such foods are mustard greens (which also are goitrogens) - if you cook the mustard greens then there is no problem. Other foods containing tyrosine include soybeans watercress, squash, pumpkin seeds and cabbage.

The goitrogens block iodine. Remember iodine in kelp helps support the thyroid. They are best avoided in the RAW form. All cruciferous vegetables especially uncooked suppress the thyroid function.

Exercise stimulates the thyroid gland.

2 comments:

  1. I'm confused....you said soybeans are good for thyroid...I thought soy was bad for thyroid???
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently heard on Dr. Oz that there are studies that say SOY in pill form does more harm than good? Is this true

    ReplyDelete