Thursday, November 29, 2012

NOVEMBER 29, 2012 EPA/DHA


The process of becoming changed begins with awareness. "

There are the 3 big A's in life - awareness- the first; then acknowledgment and finally the hardest of all three in my opinion is acceptance. For me, some 19 years ago --to accept that I had a problem with alcohol and substances was difficult. I rationalized- I should have known better.  I would say , " There is no alcoholic in my family or I do not drink all the time."
With the help assistance of the founder of AA's principles, Bill W. and his large heavy blue book, Alcoholics Anonymous, I slowly began to change.
Today, I have no troubles...NOT-- We all living on this Earth have some type of problem whether small, large or huge. But I will say this- my worst day today in 2012 is better than any day prior to doing the step work in AA.

The need for omega 3 fatty acids in human health is well understood. You must realize that your diet is deficient in omega 3 while not in omega 6 fatty acids.


You must supplement fish oils in an effort to boost omega 3 fatty acid intake The supplementation must come from a fish source. This has clearly been demonstrated. Sure you have the tuna ( it might contain mercury) the halibut and the mackerel. Squid is another source. But lately there are studies on krill oil from these shrimp like crustaceans. There are high amounts of EPA and DHA in krill oil.

If you are one of these individuals who cannot use fish oil, you have a problem. You might say to the doctor that you use Flaxseed Oil. I think this is terrific but flax contains 52 - 55% omega3's as alpha linolenic acid ( ALA) not EPA / DHA. Also do not confuse the abbreviation ALA to stand for alpha lipoic acid.  It does not.

Medical conditions that may be treated or prevented with fish oil.
1. High triglycerides
2. Coronary artery disease
3. Heart Failure
4. Asthma
5. Rheumatoid arthritis
6. Bipolar disorder
7. Inflammatory bowel disease
8. Depression


If this isn't enough there is
1. Muscle sorness after exercise
2. Raynaud's phenomena
3. Dysmenorrhea
4. Dementia
5. Renal disease in IgA nephropathy

The take home message: Take some fish oils today


Until tomorrow...




No comments:

Post a Comment