Sunday, March 6, 2011

TUESDAY MARCH 8, 2011 LEND YOUR VOICE TO IGLHRC













"A wise old man once said ...There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. "


I absolutely love this quote. So if you are getting back up and living, I want you to know how privileged you are. Last night Rick and I had the honor to attend an event as guests of a special friend. The event, A Celebration of COURAGE, honored individuals who have changed the world in which we live. The organization, International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC), http://www.iglhrc.org/ partners with activists and other organizations all over the world to document human rights violations. IGLHRC also builds strong movements and advocates for laws and policies that recognize and values of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. Regardless of your age, sexual orientation, political views, or religious beliefs, you in this city and other major cities do not know how fortunate you are to have the rights you have.

Why do I care? I care because I am a gay professional physician who has a voice. I was inspired by what I heard last night. I was surrounded by people who made me laugh, cry and ponder--namely Alan Cumming as Host of the evening. It allowed me to forget my dramas and focus on the good an organization can do in the world. My physician volunteer work for the last five years in Fire Island is nothing compared to what Anaraa Nyamdorj, Munkhzaya Nergui and Jeff Sharlet have done for our fellow gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in other countries. The former women had a three year battle with the Mongolian government over building a safer environment at their LGBT center in Mongolia. The latter, Jeff Sharlet is a journalist who displayed real vigor and guts as he highlighted the link between conservative US political and religious forces and the growing homophobia in Uganda. To this day forces there continue to push to make homosexuality punishable by death. What kind of world do we live in? IGLHRC is an organization that has a voice.



YOU CAN BE PART OF THAT VOICE.


Do you know how fortunate you are? Do you know heterosexuals have more rights than any homosexual individual? I had tears in my eyes last night watching videos from countries where a gay lifestyle can result in death. Death from beatings, life imprisonment or plain cruelty to the human spirit. Just because you do not read about it or see a video about it doesn't mean it isn't happening. It even happens in some of the fifty states within the United States. Remember Mathew Sheppard? It was only months ago when high school teenagers were verbally and physically abused in school for being gay. What about the increased rate of gay teenage suicides! Even on the weekly show, Glee you can see what some teenagers must endure. As a teenager in the 1970's I endured name calling, a bruise now and then and even threats for being 'different' Have I forgotten the words I was called? The answer is NO. Do I dwell on those high school days? NO.


I love the people who treat me right and pray for those who do not. I do not wish harm to those who treat me wrong. I pray and meditate on them. I believe in Karma. I ended this summer of 2010 experiencing mistreatment and disrespect. I am human so I did hold a resentment for a while. After all, my blood color also is red--I am human. What did I do ? I prayed for those individuals.

After this event tonight, Rick and I talked about the award winners, the host, and discussed the videos presented at the ceremony. We were in awe of the award recipients.We pondered why Alan Cumming hosted this event. Alan has a voice as an activist and passion for many civil rights projects. As a teenager he might well have been teased and called various names. I do know those facts, and I do know he has a VOICE. He is not afraid of being married to a man, nor lending his voice to a great cause. There are many gay professionals who can lend their voice. There are also many individuals regardless of sexual orientation who can lend their voice.


Do you have a voice ? Do not forget the herbs, the plants, the environmental toxins, the animals or of course, the honey bees. Do not forget yourself.

Do REMEMBER you can lend your voice by donating as little as $5 /month. Lend your voice to a worthy cause to protect human rights.




Photographs Top to Bottom:

1. Logo of International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission

2. Award recipient Jeff Sharlet

3. Paula Ettelbrick - has an LGBT Internship Fund named for her

4. Alan Cumming and Grant Shaffer


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment