Thursday, December 2, 2010

DECEMBER 3, 2010 RUBIA TINCTORUM





" Accept yourself for who you are because who you are has a purpose and an important reason for being"


Why do you want to change if you do want to change? Is it because you cannot accept who you are. It took me a long time to accept who I am. I am a a father in recovery, a life-partner in recovery and a healing physician in recovery. I wouldn't be any of the above if I did not have a twelve step program. My working the twelve step program has brought me to where I am today. I now meditate and pray. I now make daily amends if needed and I definitely without a doubt make my gratitude list and personal inventory every night. Am I perfect ? You know that answer.Absolutely NOT. There is no such thing as perfection only progress not perfection. I am blessed that my Higher Power has allowed me to have the life I have today. I DO NOT take it for granted. Many people seem to lose GOD or their Higher Power along life's way. This was my case. I was in limbo without religion , until another in recovery introduced me to Spirituality. A good germ of spirituality, no bigger than a celery seed was sown into my mind and left to germinate. It has never stopped growing since that day
It has allowed me accept for for who I am. " I Am What I Am" I am also grateful for everyone I have met in my life. There are no mistakes. Each person whether good or bad has shown me a new life lesson for the future. Think about every person you have met in your life. Have you learned from that individual? Try to accept yourself. Everyone has a purpose. Every single person in this world is important. You became a man/woman among men/women. That is a good feeling !


Many people consume plants - vegetables and fruits. This is great. You must also consume plenty of water no matter what you consume-plant or animal. Oxalates are chemicals found in plant foods but not in most animal foods. Some people are more likely to form kidney stones if they eat foods high in oxalates. I see many patients that have oxalate crystals in their urine sample.
You may be asking, 'What are oxalates ? '
Oxalate and its acid form oxalic acid are organic acids that are primarily from three sources: the diet, from fungus such as Aspergillus and Penicillium and possibly Candida and also from human metabolism . There are two genetic diseases in which oxalates are high in the urine.
The foods that contain oxalates are many. Some foods especially high in oxalates include spinach, beets, chocolate, peanuts, wheat bran, tea, cashews, pecans, almonds, berries, and many others. Oxalates are not found in meat or fish at significant concentrations. Daily adult oxalate intake is usually 80-120 mg/d;

High oxalate in the urine and plasma was first found in people who were susceptible to kidney stones. Many kidney stones are composed of calcium oxalate. Stones can range in size from the diameter of a grain of rice to the width of a golf ball. It is estimated that 10% of males may have kidney stones some time in their life. .
Kidney stones can be made of oxalates, uric acid and of course, calcium.
The physiology is sometimes difficult to understand and even to convey to a patient. When calcium is taken with foods that are high in oxalates, oxalic acid in the intestine combines with calcium to form insoluble calcium oxalate crystals that are eliminated in the stool. This form of oxalate cannot be absorbed into the body. When calcium is low in the diet, oxalic acid is soluble in the liquid portion of the contents of the intestine (called chyme) and is readily absorbed from the intestine into the bloodstream. If oxalic acid is very high in the blood being filtered by the kidney, it may combine with calcium to form crystals that may block urine flow and cause severe pain.
These crystals cannot only cause problems with the kidneys. These crystals may also form in the bones, joints, blood vessels, lungs, and even the brain
Oxalate crystals may cause damage to various tissues. The sharp crystals may cause damage due to their physical structure and may also increase inflammation.

The pain during the passage of a kidney stone is dreaded by those that have a predisposition to stones. It is extremely painful. Female patients compare it to childbearing. In many cases strong pain killers as morphine are needed.
I have used a hot compresses applied to the kidney region. I have asked a patient to sip hot chamomile tea. The idea is to promote diuresis ( urination) but only when the acute stage of pain has passed.
Remember those yellow flowers along roadsides called Dandelion. I utilize Taraxacum officinale ( Dandelion) in good quantities. One to two tablespoons of dandelion tincture in one liter of warm-hot water. Continue to drink.
This is a very effective method. Sometimes the stone doesn't pass and requires surgical or some type of intervention by the urologist.
Many ask, can I take something to dissolve the stones. There are many natural remedies other than conventional ultrasound baths ( lithotrpsy) BUT i do not use those methods. Breaking a stone with herbs, if used, might pass smaller stones and those might lodge. I see many remedies on the Internet using Kidney Flushes. I would consult a health care practitioner familiar with those flushes. I do like detoxification but it cannot be done by everyone.
A member of the bedstraw family ( Rubiaceae) has been used with some success.
Rubia is a genus of the madder family Rubiaceae, which contains about 60 species of perennial scrambling or climbing herbs and sub-shrubs A. The genus and its best known species are also known as Madder, Rubia tinctorum (also known as Common Madder . I have not used Common Madder, but I am sure I will get the opportunity. Herbalists whom have used Common Madder warn the patient about the unpleasant taste. Many prescribe 20 drops three times a day. The root does contain a red pigment, so patients should expect their urine to turn red. It was once used as a dye for the trousers, or pants of the French soldiers. If you do not warn the patient about the urine color change, they might think he/she is bleeding. I could not find how this herb works. Some have suggested that it causes spasmolysis of the ureter ( connects the kidney to the bladder) . This spasm would allow the stone to pass.

Any of the herbal remedies can be used for all stone types, even though oxalate stones were discussed.

Top Photograph: Kidney Stone , a large stone
Bottom Photograph: Common Madder

No comments:

Post a Comment