Friday, March 11, 2011

MARCH 13, 2011 GUYABANO




"Sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel" - unknown


When I am angry it has to be for a good reason. I seldom am angry. I very rarely raise my voice unless for a good reason. Unfortunately I remember when the children were young and I was newly sober and I was angry. I thought that if I stopped and addressed my addictions all would get better immediately. It has gotten better but it was not instantly. I know today nothing happens in my time--maybe in God's time. I remember my first sponsor telling me, "I wish you a slow long recovery." That did get me angry at the beginning but I fully understand what he meant. I am so grateful that my recovery has been slow. It's a simple program for complicated individuals. I am one of those complicated individuals. I also know today that I was angry when I was young in sobriety because I was not happy in my relationship at that time. It was my first sober relationship. I glance back quickly--never stay too long on the past and never dwell on the past. I made mistakes which I can admit and have made my amends. The good point is that I learned from those mistakes. I know that if I would have dwelled on the past, and not made amends I would not have stayed sober. I made all my financial amends. I know for me that if you do not make your financial amends it is another trigger for not staying sober. I live for each day. I have faith.


Both obesity and diabetes are twin epidemics sweeping across the United States. Both have seriously affected our young teenage population. Dietary and exercise lifestyle changes are the first line of treatment. Of course there are conventional medications for diabetes. Today, there are far to many gastric bandings and bypasses occurring every day. Is this the solution? I think not.


Guyabano belongs to the family of Annonaceae, (A. muricata L.). The flesh of the fruit consists of a white edible pulp that is high in carbohydrates and has considerable amounts of Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Potassium and dietary fiber. Guyabano is low in cholesterol, saturated fat and sodium. Not only is guyabano a good health food, it also tastes delicious. The tree and fruit is known in various names: Guyabano in Filipino, Soursop in English, Graviola in Brazil, and Guanabana in Spanish. A patient told me about the fruit. When she goes home to her country (in the Philippines) and consumes guyabano her sugar levels are normalized.


I have used many other herbs for diabetes. Rosemary, fenugeek, gymnema, cinnamon and even bitter melon. I have not used Guyabano for sugar management. I have used this fruit for treatment of cancers. There are numerous studies on it for cancer treatment, but few if any for diabetes. I couldn't find any reports on the American Botanical Council web site.

The fruit, seeds, and leaves yield a number of herbal medicinal uses in countries where the plant is common. Very few plants have all parts used as medicine. The sap of the young leaves may be applied directly on pimples to induce suppuration. The sap is also considered parasitical. An alcoholic extract of the leaves, when distilled with steam, yields a small amount of essential oil. The leaves and roots also cure colic and convulsions.

To reduce fever, a decoction of leaves can be taken internally. The crushed fresh leaves are also applied on skin eruptions for faster healing. A poultice of young guyabano leaves is applied on the skin to alleviate rheumatism and other skin infections like eczema. Applied during the healing of wounds, this can result in less scarring. The decoction can also be used as a wet compress on swollen feet and other inflammations.

Guyabano are also good in checking insect pests. Pulverizing the guyabano seeds and mixing with soap and water creates an effective spray against caterpillars, armyworms and leafhoppers on plants.

The bark of the guyabano tree has been used in tanning. The wood is pale, aromatic, soft, light in weight and not durable.

There are some connections of guyabano and atypical Parkinson's Disease. This is due to the very high concentration of annonacin.

Remember do not eat the seeds. “Guyabano seeds are toxic, and care must be taken to assure that all are removed before the pulp is processed.”


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment