Thursday, September 2, 2010

SEPTEMBER 2, 2010 HURRICANE?

"Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, 'What's in it for me?'" -Brian Tracy

Are you successful or unsuccessful? I am not talking financial reports or your portfolio! Do you always look to help your fellow neighbor? I do. I want at every opportunity to help someone. Last night I happen to see someone who had lost 30 + pounds. He came over and gave me a big hug. He said, "Thank you for changing my life." It was some 10 months later and he still had kept the weight off. He was practicing a lifestyle not a diet. I get all teary eyed when these incidences happen. I don't think I ever asked "What's in it for me?" while sober or not sober. I am just not that kind of person. Now you and I know there are those people or those unfortunates. Maybe they do not know any better. Perhaps they were brought up this way. Can an unsuccessful person ever become a successful person? I believe yes, BUT only if that person wants to change. Some people are incapable of change. Change is fear. More than eight years ago when a friendship had ended, I was asked what was I doing with the house in Fire Island--My mind was caught off guard. I thought I heard, ..."let's work this out." It was my mind playing tricks on me-some individuals as stated yesterday care more about materialistic items!! I care about how the bird is going to get the food out of the feeder, will that plant survive the cold fall, and how many plants/shrubs and flowers will be uprooted with this upcoming storm?

Seventy two years ago in September the Fire Island residents were not warned of an impending storm. The 1938 hurricane was first reported in the vicinity of Puerto Rico. It passed within 200 miles of Florida and then tracked North at a speed of 40 mph. The Florida Weather Bureau had termed this storm a hurricane, but when it was handed off to the Washington station the severity was lost. Several reasons were stated afterward, but the result was that no warning was sent to Long Island. The hurricane arrived on Fire Island in the afternoon on Sept. 21 on rising tides. Winds were measured at 120 mph with a storm-surge of 10ft on the ocean and 13 to 15 ft on the Bay. Fortunately this storm hit at the end of the summer-season and the Island was relatively empty. Nevertheless, many people were killed. 65 houses were lost in Cherry Grove, only about 20 houses survived. More than 90 houses were lost in Saltaire. Seventy two years and fifteen days earlier, Hurricane Earl might pass through Fire Island. Let's see what happens.

What would you want to drink for the huirricane? Sure I bet some of you would want a cocktail or a glass of Merlot. Except I am sober. So I want ginger beer or sarsaparilla flavoring in my soda water. Sarsaparilla has long been used as a blood purifier and tonic that boosts stamina and energy. Although there is no definitive evidence, many body-builders strongly maintain that Sarsaparilla (or Smilax) helps to build Muscle mass, while avoiding the harmful side effects of anabolic steroids. Sarsaparilla is considered a fine tonic herb, an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, and the herb may even act as an aphrodisiac. Perhaps this is the reason that the "Good Guys" of the Old West, who disdained whiskey in favor of Sarsaparilla always seemed to have that extra edge. It contains vitamins A, B-complex, C and D. Also the minerals iron, manganese, sodium, silicon, sulfur, copper, zinc, and iodine. It contains the amino acids methionine and cysteine.

Sarsaparilla was used to treat syphilis in the late 1800's and 1920's.
Sarsaparilla is considered to be a fine tonic and blood purifier that is said to attack and neutralize toxins (including environmental poisons) in the blood. In addition, the herb also promotes urination and sweating; and that action is believed to further rid the body of toxins through bodily secretions. It also helps to cool the body and break intermittent fevers. As an antibacterial, Sarsaparilla has been used internally and externally to counteract infections of all kinds. Internally, the herb is said to attack microbial substances in the blood and also counteract Urinary Tract Infections.

Sarsaparilla is an anti-inflammatory that is believed to ease rheumatism, Arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. Because of its diuretic properties the stimulation of urine production increases the excretion of uric Acid, which also helps to relieve Gout.

There is much mystique and controversy surrounding Sarsaparilla's hormonal properties in both men and women. In men, the herb is said to stimulate production of natural hormones (testosterone), which may help to restore both sexual interest and erectile function. This action is different from many other male aphrodisiacs that act by increasing blood to the penis, which also carries the risk of creating high Blood pressure.

History:
Sarsaparilla is a woody, perennial, climbing vine, native to the rain forests of Central and South America, Jamaica and Caribbean regions, and also grows in other temperate zones such as Southeast Asia and Australia. The root is long and tuberous and supports a ground-trailing evergreen vine that may reach fifty feet in length, and the fragrance of the root (which has been used for centuries in herbal medicine) is spicy-sweet. It has a pleasant taste. Its name is derived from two Spanish words, sarza, meaning "bramble" and parilla, meaning "vine."

I have a photograph of sarsaparilla from Roy H Park Conservation. Not only do I have the plant and leaves, but also the berries. By the way I tasted the berries. Very cool.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment