Thursday, September 23, 2010

SEPTEMBER 23 2010 UNDER THE CAP--A SKULL--SKULLCAP





You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say, "I'm proud of what I am and who I am, and I'm just going to be myself."
Mariah Carey


“Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment.”

Accomplishment of anything will build your self-esteem and self confidence. This blog has done a lot for my self esteem. I try to the best of my ability to do it every day. A little addictive or compulsive, it is true. But it does help my self esteem. I am reaching out to you..whoever you may be. I review what I do everyday by doing this blog. It has been an accomplishment for the last 195 days. Almost 200 days and blogs.

It is true we must look inside and find our own inner strength. What are some of your accomplishments that have boosted your own self-esteem? I do know that my living by a 12 step program has helped me beyond my wildest dreams. My worst day sober is better than any day not sober. All is maneagable with the help of GOD, prayer and meditation. I have gone through heart surgery, family deaths, difficult work situations and general life stress. Life on Life's Terms. It is maneagable. I have assisted in helping MY own community as a volunteer physician for five years. At this point, I have to remember I did well and did what I thought was right for the community. I also knew when to step outside of the box in this volunteer capacity when philosophical divergence was apparent. I also have stepped outside the box when dealing with patients in regard to different modalities of medicine.

I have hobbies. I will admit that some have developed into addictions--so buying a canvas or two can be addictive. Yet as you see I finish them at incredible speed. I also love books--I love to read, learn and teach. I finally gave in to an Amazon Kindle--me using an electronic book -what is the world coming to?

Make a list of all of your accomplishments. Have you been satisfied ? Do you need something else to do? Are you happy?

Have a date with yourself and savour the accomplishments. When I graduated from the Integrative Medicine Fellowship with Andrew Weil in Arizona I was joined by my children, Rick, my brother Michael and his parents. My dad was dying in a hospital. he wanted me to go and receive my diploma. He said he would hang on till I came home. He would know no matter what that I received my diploma. I returned on a Sunday/Monday a.m. morning. He did know that I graduated. He died peacefully the very next day.

As promised in yesterday's blog, today we discuss Skullcap: Scutellaria lateriflora. Skullcap is used in the treatment of a wide range of nervous conditions including epilepsy, insomnia, hysteria, anxiety, delerium tremens, and withdrawal from barbiturates and tranquilizers. I have never used it for this, but many herbalists make a medicinal infusion of the plant to promote menstruation. As with most herbs it should not be given to pregnant women since it can induce a miscarriage. Skullcap is currently being used in combination with other herbs and supplements to treat ADD and a number of nerve disorders. I have used it in combination with the following:
Ginkgo, Gotu Kola, Rosemary, and Prickly Ash . I do know some herbalists who have combined it with Eleuthero Root.

By the way, this skullcap (American) differs from Chinese skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis ) other herbalists use. Chinese skullcap is high in flavinoids and thus an anti-inflammatory. The high flavinoid content makes it anti-tumor, anti-viral and anti-retroviral too. Chinese skullcap has been used in treatment of cancer, HIV and other immune disorders.


Three photographs of skullcap.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment