Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SEPTEMBER 28, 2010 UNCHARTERED SEAS







"IF WE LEARN TO OPEN OUR HEARTS, ANYONE INCLUDING THE PEOPLE WHO DRIVE US CRAZY, CAN BE OUR TEACHERS." Pema Chodron



To open your heart is to practice forgiveness. After you have forgiven others, mourned your losses, salvaged the best possible outcome, I feel you have done enough about the past. So now you can leave the known waters of your life and misfortune. You may ask, "What about the unchartered waters?" Anyone can influence their fate, but you nor anyone else can control it. I have learned it has nothing to do with intelligence or how wise you are--life does spin out of control from time to time. I had some out of control behavior this weekend. What did I learn? I learned the art of resilience. I learned I cannot control others' behavior. You must allow yourself to move forward into the unchartered seas.

Beyond the familiar and into unexplored territory of a fresh insight. A fresh new vision. I want the questions to be as important as the answers. I have done this with this blog, botany, needlepoint and now, maybe....beekeeping. There is always the temptation to keep the disappointment close to you. I have done it with a 5 year volunteer project. I still take it out, gaze upon it with morbid fascination and say, "What if the Board... How could I have done it differently..." I have now released my disappointment and moved on. No more clinging. I know this as if I were a painter. Brilliant--- The landscape of my life ( and yours) has been changed by what has happened.. Unchartered seas..."Don't Rain on My Parade."


An herb that has not been discussed as a mild sedative is Indian Snakeroot Rauwolfa serpentina . Although not used as often for sedation as it is for high blood pressure, I believe it deserves some mention in this section. Indian Snakeroot is used to reduce fevers, promote menstruation, and treat diarrhea and dysentery. An extract of the root has been used to calm irritable or colicky babies. In 1952, Western doctors were able to isolate and identify the substances that account for its medicinal qualities. It was discovered that reserpine, an alkaloid in the root, was a powerful depressant and sedative, and for a time, was the only treatment for calming seriously disturbed patients. Today, reserpine has transformed the treatment of mental illnesses and hypertension (high blood pressure).

Indians call Indian Snakeroot “moonshine plant” for its sedative and hypnotic properties. It is said that holy men such as Mahatma Gandhi have chewed the root of this herb to attain a state of philosophic detachment while meditating. Indians use this plant for treating insanity or “moon disease,” and folk healers have long since used it as an antidote for poisonous snake bites. I love the term " moon disease".

Indian snakeroot is linked to the holy men of India. This herbal plant is known as the chandrika - in Sanskrit, and literally translated as the "moonshine plant" – has historically been of great esteem in India, as it serves as a sedative and hypnotic drug for the treatment of insanity linked to the lunar phases, or what is called "moon disease".

While the beneficial effects and the time honored and traditional uses of the plant are well documented, the active principles responsible for the plants beneficial effects remained unknown for a long period of time. The medicinal compounds that are responsible for the beneficial effects of the plant were isolated and named in 1952 by a team of Western doctors. One of the compounds isolated from extracts of the plant is the alkaloid called reserpine; this alkaloid is one of the fifty active chemical substances that were isolated from the herb's root. This compound revolutionized the alleviation and treatment of mental illness as well as high blood pressure problems. The side effects can include edema and nightmares.

It is not a medicine I have used a lot in cardiology or the treatment of high blood pressure. Today there are a variety of medications as well as supplements and herbs.

The genus Rauwolfia consists of more than a hundred distinct species of plants. The name of this genus is the Latinized last name of Dr. Leonhard Rauwolf, the 16th-century German physician and explorer. All of the plant species in this genus are found growing in the moist tropical forests along the tropical Pacific coastline, in tropical South America, as well as in the Asian and African tropical regions.

There is a difference between Indian Snakeroot and Sakeroot. Snakeroot is sometimes referred to as Tall Boneset. It actually resembles boneset in its flowers. Snakeroot is a poisonous plant.


An inspirational song for those who want to sail those unchartered seas !!

DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
Don't tell me not to live, just sit and putter
Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
Don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade
Don't tell me not to fly, I simply got to
If someone takes a spill, it's me and not you
Who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade
I'll march my band out, I'll beat my drum
And if I'm fanned out, your turn at bat, sir
At least I didn't fake it, hat, sir
I guess I didn't make it
But whether I'm the rose of sheer perfection
A freckle on the nose of life's complexion
The Cinderella or the shine apple of its eye
I gotta fly once, I gotta try once,
Only can die once, right, sir?
Ooh, life is juicy, juicy and you see,
I gotta have my bite, sir.
Get ready for me love, 'cause I'm a "comer"
I simply gotta march, my heart's a drummer
Don't bring around the cloud to rain on my parade,

I'm gonna live and live NOW!
Get what I want, I know how!
One roll for the whole shebang!
One throw that bell will go clang,
Eye on the target and wham,
One shot, one gun shot and bam!
Hey, Mr. Arnstein, here I am ...

I'll march my band out, I will beat my drum,
And if I'm fanned out, your turn at bat, sir,
At least I didn't fake it, hat, sir,
I guess I didn't make it
Get ready for me love, 'cause I'm a "comer"
I simply gotta march, my heart's a drummer
Nobody, no, nobody, is gonna rain on my parade!



For the movie fan - "Don't Rain On My Parade" is a popular song from the 1964 musical Funny Girl. It was also featured in the 1968 movie version of the musical. The song was written by Bob Merrill and Jule Styne. Both the movie and stage versions feature Barbra Streisand performing the song. It has since become one of her signature tunes.

Ms Streisand portrayed Fanny Brice (who died in 1951) on the stage in 1964 and in film in 1968. Ms. Brice was a popular and influential American illustrated song "model", comedienne, singer, theater and film actress, who made many stage, radio and film appearances and is known as the creator and star of the top-rated radio comedy series, The Baby Snooks Show. This is a must movie for ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment