Monday, September 20, 2010

SEPTEMBER 21, 2010 PURPOSE






"Our life's purpose is much clearer when WE work to help, not to possess."

Thanks Karen

What is your purpose? This was the question asked in the play, "Avenue Q". The dialogue is between Princetown and the ensemble. It states the following:

I don�t know how I know,
But I�m gonna find my purpose.
I don�t know where I�m gonna look,
But I�m gonna find my purpose.

Gotta find out.
Don�t wanna wait.
Got to make sure that my life will be great.
Gotta find my purpose.
Before it�s too late.

I do know that when you find your purpose , it does make life a lot easier. It is like growing up. What did you want to be when you were growing up? The president, a doctor, a teacher, or a fireperson! I wanted to be doctor. I knew that from any early age. I knew I wanted to help people. That was my purpose. GOD guided me in this direction. I know that today. I think we all have to be messengers and angels to other people. You must pass on what you know. You must communicate with another human being about your feelings. Tell the other person your purpose. Whatever it may be.

I was reading a thank you letter from someone. It meant nothing to me. There was no sincerity in the note. It was done because the person felt obligated. This individual has no purpose in life. You should never do anything that you feel obligated to. It must come from the spirit and heart. Words mean nothing. When I read cards, letters or thank you notes from individuals, I close my eyes and imagine if I could picture that person reading those words. It is unique when you tap into your own mind--the thoughts, the imagery and the voice.

Never try to possess. What is the definition of possess? The definitions are, "to occupy in person; to hold or actually have in one's own keeping; to have and to hold." It can also be to have the legal title to; to have a just right to; to be master of; to own; to have; as, to possess property, an estate, a book. Or to obtain occupation or possession of; to accomplish; to gain; to seize. Sometimes it means to enter into and influence; to control the will of; to fill; to affect; -- said especially of evil spirits, passions, etc.

I prefer 'to control the will of'. I never want to control the will of anyone. Everyone should control their own will. So the quote above now read together does make perfect sense. Do you possess the will of anyone other than yourself? Let's hope not.

Life is so good. The way I feel today- so light, so peaceful, so serene. - I Haven't Got a Worry in the World --


It is estimated that 19 million Americans suffer from depression. Do you know the common depression symptoms? Do you know about different types of depression? If you think you have depression you need to talk openly with your doctor. I feel it is so important for the doctor to learn about the patient. I often ask about the family, friends, job and the hobbies. I ask about alcohol use.

Are you depressed? The symptoms of depression may surprise you. All depression types are not the same. Read about the causes and symptoms of major depression and the available treatments.There are many different types of depression. Some are major, chronic, atypical, bipolar, seasonal and psychotic types. Did you ever think that depression might be genetic? Or run in families?

Some types of depression run in families, indicating that a biological vulnerability to depression can be inherited. This is especially true of bipolar disorder. Families in which members of each generation develop bipolar disorder have been studied.

Major depression also seems to occur in generation after generation in some families, although not as strongly as in bipolar I or II. Indeed, major depression can also occur in people who have no family history of depression.

An external event often seems to initiate an episode of depression. A serious loss, chronic illness, difficult relationship, financial problem, or any unwelcome change in life patterns can trigger a depressive episode. During the AIDS epidemic in the 1980's there were many reported cases of depression in the young gay male population.

Very often, a combination of genetic, psychological, and environmental factors is involved in the onset of a depressive disorder. Stressors that contribute to the development of depression sometimes affect some groups more than others. This is often seen in minority groups affected by discrimination. Socioeconomically disadvantaged groups have higher rates of depression compared to their advantaged counterparts. Immigrants to the United States may be more vulnerable to developing depression, particularly when isolated by language. This does make sense. Can you imagine being alone in a different country with very little understanding of the language?

Regardless of ethnicity, men appear to be particularly sensitive to the depressive effects of unemployment, divorce, low socioeconomic status, and having few good ways to cope with stress. Women who have been the victim of physical, emotional, or sexual abuse, either as a child or an adult have an increased risk of developing depression. Gay men seem to be particularly vulnerable to depression when they have no domestic partner, do not identify themselves as homosexual, or have been the victim of multiple episodes of antigay violence. However, it seems that men and women have similar risk factors for depression for the most part.

What is more complex and fascinating than the human brain? The 100-plus chemicals that circulate in the brain are known as neurochemicals or neurotransmitters. I have discussed these NT's when discussing inflammation of the small intestines Much of our research and knowledge has focused on four of these neurochemical systems: norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine, and acetylcholine. Different neuropsychiatric illnesses seem to be associated with an overabundance or a lack of some of these neurochemicals in certain parts of the brain. Repeated use of drugs or alcohol, however, desensitizes the dopamine system, which means that the system gets used to the drugs and alcohol. Therefore, a person needs more drugs or alcohol to achieve the same high feeling. Thus, the addicted person takes more substance but feels less and less high and increasingly depressed. This is usually when the addict has hit "bottom". I have seen many alcoholics who have hit bottom but fail to recognize it. This is denial.

Certain medications used for a variety of medical conditions are more likely than others to cause depression as a side effect. The beta blockers which decrease heart rate and blood pressure has been a cause of depression in the elderly. Specifically, some medications that are used to treat cancer, seizures, extreme pain, and to achieve contraception can result in depression.

The treatment of depression is varied. It can range from individual therapy with psychologist or psychiatrist, group therapy, conventional anti-depressant medications, herbal preparations, meditation, yoga and acupuncture. The newer anti depressants or serotonin uptake inhibitors have changed how we treat depression.

You need to recognize the symptoms in yourself or another person and seek medical attention.
Since I want a truly holistic approach to wellness I will discuss herbs for the treatment of depression. In traditional homeopathy I would discuss the seven chakras, the four elements (earth, water, fire and air), the senses and the eight principles of Chinese Medicine. When a person's emotions are depressed the second chakra flower essences will help emotionally stimulate them. The secodn chakra deals with the sensations connected with emotions of anger, fear, sadness, grief, shame, guilt and joy. For every chakra there are particular flower essences to be used. The color for this chakra is orange. The essences are California Poppy, Calendula, Echinacea, Blanketflower and even Pomegranite. Homeopathy and Flower essences are another field of medicine which medical health professionals can use to treat a variety of diseases.
I will discuss herbs used in the treatment of depression.
In order to deal with depression, the emotions of sadness, grief, and fear need to be understood and put into proper perspective. Are you in contact with your emotions? All of our emotions flow like the Nile river, and depend on the driving force of the energy that moves it. In this river we are flowing or bucking the tides. In a way each of us are continually releasing, cleansing, evolving and changing.
Herbs can assist in the healing process.

Until tomorrow...

Fot today--a day at a time...I Haven't Got a Worry in the World

Sentimental music sweet and low
Lamps upon the table wink and glow
All the smiling waiters seem to know
Exactly how I feel

I'm dancing with my honey
My honey close to me
And I haven't got a worry in the world

I am happy as a bluebird
How happy can you be
I haven't got a worry in the world

I'm floating
I'm flying
Above the cares of day
My honey arms are signing
Enjoy us while you may

I dreamy as a lovebird
How dreamy can you be
My heart is in a flurry,
My pulse is in a hurry
But I haven't Got a Worry
Haven't got a worry in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment