Tuesday, May 1, 2012

MAY 1, 2012 ROSMARINUS






"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

There is no reason not to be kind to others. I find some people are so self absorbed in their own world, that they do not have time to be kind to anyone. Some people are stuck in 'time warps' of yesterdays. I used to be one of those people. For some reason, I have begun to change slowly. I have reached a point in my life where I realize that kindness to others will always bring it back to me. This is called Karma. It is the little things that count. A simple  handwritten card, a simple hug or a thoughtful call. I do not live in the past, nor the future. I must live in the moment. The friendships of yesterday which were in reality acquaintances are gone, the yesterdays of Fire Island are gone, and the yesterdays of resentments are gone. I live in the moment. Any individual no matter what is happening in their life can see the likes of kindness.

Every photo above exemplifies love, serenity, peace and care. It also is an example of kindness not only to human beings, but kindness to all living species including all animals: pets, wild animals -even insects and all plants.
In the Benjamin Rush Medicinal Plant Garden adjacent to the First College of Physicians (and the Mutter Museum) is a very peaceful well thought out herbal garden. For those who do not know names of herbs both common and Latin name--this is a great herbal garden. When a garden takes the time to name each plant/herb with both its common name and botanical Latin name- I am impressed.

Rick and I grow Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) on our terrace. The Rosemary photographed above is a tree of rosemary which neither of us had ever seen before.  It is a hardy evergreen with aromatic leaves. If you see it blooming, it will have pretty pale blue flowers.  I feel Rosemary is one of the best herbs in many respects. It can be used medicinally, as well  for attractive flower arrangements, aromatically, and of course, for culinary purposes.

Since I love history of plants, I found this story of the Virgin Mary. In her flight to Egypt it is said that she threw her blue cloak over a white rosemary bush, which turned its flowers blue forever. This is how this flower gets the name: Rose of Mary.

 Culpepper said this :  The Sun claims dominion over it. It helps a weak memory, and quickens the senses. The leaves are used much in bathing and made into ointments or oil are good to help cold benumbed joints, sinews or members....a remedy for the windiness in the stomach, bowels and spleen and expels it powerfully'

Rosemary is worn on April 25 in Australia and New Zealand  in remembrance of the servicemen who died in Gallipoli during WW I.

I use Rosemary to stabilize blood sugar levels, alleviate the pain from sprains and bruises, arthritis and especially for sciatica.

Definitely put it in the tomato sauce for the gluten free pasta.


Photo Credit: Rick Byrd, PhD
Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment