Thursday, May 17, 2012

MAY 17, 2012 YOUR EMOTIONS RELATED TO FOOD




Edwin Starr said, "And me, myself personally, in order for there to be any kind of longevity, there's gotta be some history." Do you like old people? I do. I learn a lot from talking to old people. Perhaps this is my greatest talent --listening to an older individual. There is longevity because there is history. We talk about growing up in New York City, the 1939 World's Fair, old movies and just about life.

Author Garson Kanin  was asked what he attributed his longevity to. "I reckon," he said with a twinkle in his eyes, "it is because most nights I went to bed and slept when I should have sat up and worried."  How true is that! I do not worry any longer. Sure I worry about the health of loved ones, the children, the pets - who am I kidding -- I do worry, but not in the same ways I used to. My reflections of the past as a glance and not dwell upon have helped me. What has guided through my life int he last 18 years has been my meditation/prayer. What has lifted me from a life of worry and burdensome topics is my belief in 'a power greater than myself'. I am no longer in the driver's seat. The G.O.D. of my understanding is driving. I am along for the ride. I cannot complain about the ride in these last 18 sober years. Sure, we all have ups and downs- some happiness, and some sadness--and some loss. But this is life. Life is nothing but a tangled ball of yarn--how YOU unravel the yarn depends on you, your meditation and your beliefs.


What is your relationship to food? Do you have a love affair with eating? There are some who love to eat. I can understand that, but sometimes there may be unexpected consequences. I do know that if you start your day with a simple carbohydrate, as Cheerios and Milk , or a bagel you have begun your day with sugar. Yes sugar. This means you crave throughout the day and between the hours of 2 - 4 pm you will start to crash. You are now in H.A.L.T. - hungry, angry , lonely and tired. Your emotions are swinging out of control.

Those who eat partially hydrogenated unsaturated fats (trans fats) have other problems. A recent study published on March 5, 2012 reported that dietary trans fatty acid intake is associated with irritability and aggression. Trans fats are in many of the processed foods you might consume. This means that you shop in the center of a grocery store and not on the periphery. The periphery of a good grocery store has all the fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, cheese and dairy. Not that all dairy and red meats are good either. But you need not to consume trans fatty acids.

The study was published online. I feel it should have been published in a journal as there was enough subjects in the study:  945 adults on no lipid lowering medication, with an absence of diabetes, high bad cholesterol, cancer, heart disease and HIV.  There was an extensive dietary lifestyle survey at the beginning of the study. There were several questionnaires including the OASMA (Overt Aggression Scale Modified Aggression) scale.

There was a lot of data collected and I feel more studies can be published using this extensive body of data.The investigators found that greater dietary trans fatty acid intake was associated with greater aggression. It even went so far as to state that dietary trans fatty acid intake was a more consistent predictor of aggression than other aggression predictors evaluated.

I pondered on this. What if murderers or psychopaths consumed more trans fatty acids? What did Dalmer consume other than his victims? What did Squeaky Fromme eat as she attempted to assassinate President Ford? And John Lennon's killer?

Avoid trans fatty acids

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment