Monday, March 19, 2012

MARCH 19, 2012 COMPASSION AND THE HONEY BEE


































"It is our job to have compassion for ourselves."


I have compassion for all, but rarely do I think of the above statement. In truth how can I have compassion for others, if I do not have compassion for myself? As Saint Patrick said, "Before I was humiliated I was like a stone that lies in deep mud, and he who is mighty came and in his compassion raised me up and exalted me very high and placed me on the top of the wall." There was a time in my life when I was in the mud. In my humble opinion, you must hit rock bottom to truly appreciate what you have in life. A bottom does not have to be living in a shelter or a box under a bridge, but when you are low and your self-esteem is less than 0 (on a scale of 1-10). Have compassion for yourself? Treat yourself to something such as a hobby to boost your self-esteem.



Be (Bee) passionate about honey bees!



As an herbalist I highly recommend bee pollen. It is full of nutrition. Of course, as a bee keeper I am thrilled that every aspect of the bee hive can be used. The pollen, the royal jelly, honey and even the wax. Last night Rick and I made bee's wax candles from our own bee's wax. What fun!

See the photo above! Yeah! Hope we will do it again tonight





Bee pollen contains vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, lipids, and protein. It comes from the pollen that collects on the bodies of bees. Bee pollen may also include bee saliva.
It's important to avoid confusing bee pollen with natural honey, honeycomb, bee venom, or royal jelly. These products do not contain bee pollen.




Bee pollen is available at many health food stores. You may find bee pollen in other natural dietary supplements as well as in skin softening products used for diaper rash or eczema.

You may also hear recommendations for using bee pollen for alcoholism, asthma, allergies, health maintenance, or gastrointestinal problems, as bloating, gas and indigestion. But before you take any natural product for a health condition, check with your doctor.


Bee pollen is also recommended by some herbalists to enhance athletic performance, reduce side effects of chemotherapy, and improve allergies and asthma.


Bee venom is used for many autoimmune diseases, especially multiple sclerosis.



At this point, medical research has not shown bee pollen to be effective for any of these health concerns. I feel more research needs to be done on pee pollen.



Bee pollen appears to be safe, at least when taken for a short time. But if you have pollen allergies you may get more than you bargained for. Bee pollen can cause a serious allergic reaction like difficulty breathing. This can result in anaphylaxsis where the throat completely closes. This is why we have epinephrine in our Fire Island home in case someone gets stung by a bee. I hope the Doctor's House in Cherry Grove has epinephrine shots as well.




In the coming years I hope more herbalists get involved with bee keeping. I also hope more city dwellers get involved with bee keeping.



A Great Mid Morning Snack



1. Add 4 teaspoons of bee pollen to a bowl of Natural Goat's Yogurt. Add some Orthobitoic Probiotic powder or Colon Restore from http://www.longevitynutritionals.com/ Add blueberries, walnuts and raspberries. Sprinkle on some cinnamon.




You will become a true bee pollen lover.



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment