Thursday, March 22, 2012

MARCH 22, 2012 GERD HERBAL PROTOCOL



































"Sometimes finding the answer is as easy as taking a break and stepping back from the situation."



Thanks Karen




We all have to do this once in a while. When I do not know the answer I always step back , ponder, think what I might have done or what I will do, and then tackle the problem. The answer to most of my problems is communication. Getting the exact message across is key. Communication is key. Something I frequently take a step back and re think is friendships. As I get older, I find that there are fewer friends that I want to spend time with. My tolerance is shorter. I know this is not really true, so I must do one thing--Meditate and Pray.












The removal of inflaming or offending foods is the key in patients who are allergic, but this is one approach. My other approach is to take the HERBAL approach.



Two MUSTS are probiotcs (friendly bacteria) and glutamine. I prefer powder form as the irritated gut needs soft repair and restoring abilities. It is a lot easier with a powder versus capsules or tablets.



I have been taught to use an antimicrobial tea (per many conferences at either Southwest Botanical Conference in Tempe AZ or the Medicine of the Earth conference in Asheville NC)





This tea consists of :



1. Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice)



2. Matricaria recutia (Chamomile)



3. Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel)



4. Organum vulgare (Majoram)



I would mix equal parts of the above herbs (about 2-4 oz) and drink 1-2 cups per /day. The first two herbs, chamomile and licorice help rebuild the digestive mucosa and reduce the frequency and intensity of the GERD. There is an herb called Hamamelis that tightens the lower esophageal sphincter. This is one of the digestive barks. Of all the major systems in the body, I feel there are more herbs that can alleviate problems of the digestive system. I often utilize Weiss's Herbal Medicine text among others to mix/match herbs that I frequently use. There are simple demulcents for esophagitis (a precursor to GERD). These herbs can be used as teas or syrups. These are Althea, Ulmus and Symphytum.




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment