Wednesday, September 12, 2012

SEPTEMBER 12, 2012 CINNAMON





Your actions are your only true belongings." Allan Lokos

Your actions belong only to you. You must take that responsibility. Remember the phrase, actions speak louder than words.  It is breaking apart the word 'reaction' and take away -re-...you have only the word action left. In order to grow physically, emotionally and mentally, you must take action. If you decide to sit and wait for things to happen, I do not know how long you will be sitting there. I do know that your action makes things happen !




As Fall is upon us, and Winter nearby- you should get used to having a cup of tea. On a cold day who doesn't want a cup of tea? Last night I felt stuffy so I had a cup of nettle tea. I love stinging nettles as an anti inflammatory tea! It was delicious with a 1/4 tsp of wild flower honey. This morning I have no stuffiness. I gain much information when I use a botanical for a patient for a specific condition. One herb, Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylancium) has been used for centuries as a culinary herb, as well as for gastrointestinal disease. The conventional or allopathic community always wants studies, research and even sometimes double blind studies to show the efficacy and health benefits of an herb. While I find this important and necessary, I feel that a health care practitioner's clinical experience is important as well. Cinnamon has been one of the herbs that has recently been used more and more for diabetes. Although there are few human trials to study its efficacy, I have found it useful in controlling blood sugar levels as well as exerting a hypoglycemic control. I have relied on cinnamon alone to control blood sugar or glucose levels. I usually combine cinnamon with two or three other herbs, including Fenugeek, Rosemary and Gymnena. I also have had much success with three vita-nutrients in high doses. These are Chromium, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Vanadium. I always get asked "How much Cinnamon should I ingest on a daily basis?" There are studies with ineffective blood sugar control at doses of 1 to 1.5 grams daily, with positive or beneficial effects at dosages of 6 grams daily. I do not know if I like Cinnamon that much to ingest 6 grams unless I am using the method of delivery in capsules.


I also get asked "Is cinnamon only used for sugar control" The answer is NO. There are other studies to support the anti-inflammatory effects of certain Cinnamon plant species, especially C. cassia. There are also anti-bacterial effects against some species of bacteria. Since some studies also support the anti oxidant effect of Cinnamon, I use Cinnamon as a supportive treatment for patients with cancer and other infectious diseases, such as Lyme and HIV.

I have had success treating fungal infections with three herbs: Cinnamon, Thyme and Cloves. Oral thrush has been eliminated in 3 out of 5 patients using Cinnamon in a small study. I have seen some herbalist using Cinnamon for the eradication of H. Pylori. I myself have never had success with Cinnamon with H Pylori. I prefer to use Mastica if the patient cannot tolerate the conventional oral antibiotics.

In children, the use of warming spices as Cinnamon , Ginger and Cloves are an important treatment for chronic catarrh (excessive mucous production). I do find that not every child will like the taste of some of these herbs. In children, I encourage elimination of wheat and dairy to eliminate catarrh.

I do not think Mother Earth would have an abundance of plants just for us to look at their beauty. A Higher Power placed them here and allowed them to grow for a reason. I do not think we have discovered all the medicinal benefits of all the plants growing on earth.

A great review on different types of cinnamon appeared in this month of Herbalgram from the Amercian Botanical Council


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment