Friday, September 7, 2012

SEPTEMBER 7, 2012 AN ORGANIC RELATIONSHIP








Do you shop in Whole Foods? or Trader Joe's ? Do you buy organic fruits and vegetables?
How do you know it really is organic ? For the last 13 years the United States sales for organic foods has increased from 3.6 to more than 25 billion dollars.

Although organic certification and farming practices vary, there is a consistency of what is organic. Do you what organic is? Organic foods are generally grown without  synthetic fertilizers, or pesticides or any routine use of antibiotics and growth hormones.
This sounds great. I must thank individuals as Michael Pollan, Andrew Weil, Deepok Chopra, Dr Oz, Oprah Winfrey and others in the field . These individuals and many more have made America aware. If have not ever read The Omnivore Dilemma by Michael Pollan--I would suggest it ( as a registered herbalist I love The Botany of Desire)

In reviewing conventional literature, I found an interesting review in The Annals of Internal Medicine September 4 2012. This is a great publication of the American College of Physicians. The purpose of this study was to review evidence comparing the health effects of organic and conventional foods.
Large databases were used.( 7 in all)  One example is Med line from 1966 to May 2011.

I recommend this Review. Ann Intern Med 2012;157:348-366.
Let me sum up their findings: Their conclusion was that the published literature LACKS strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods. The consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residues and antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Now what ? More needs to be studied. Do we buy organic ? Not always. Rick buys from the local farmers . He does love both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  Organic is not affordable to everyone. In today's economic and financial crisis, it is definitely better than four years ago, but there is no perfection. I have many patients who do buy organic foods. I know it is better, but how much better ? I tell my patients, do the best you can do- pick and chose your battles.


I love the way I practice medicine. To me, it is the paint to the canvas. Yesterday I had my usual busy day. When the front desk told me there was a call from VNS Hospice, I sighed and picked up the phone. My dear friend/patient Patricia had passed away . Patricia was one of the first patients I started to treat. She followed my course of life. By this  I mean, she always moved with me when I changed practices and locations. She never left my side. She used to follow the advice of Carlton Fredricks. She sat with Carol every Monday for years in one of the treatment rooms. My father and Patricia sat and laughed in the office. She was part of my extended family. She saw my children grow up in my practice. She attended both Rick's and my 50th Birthday. We even had some holidays together. I loved sending her hand made cards.I will still make a Halloween card for her this year.
She was a real trouper I know she is in a better place with no suffering , no pain and no oxygen tanks. I will miss her. I love you, my fallen angel

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment