Friday, April 23, 2010

AT THE MOVIES: Do Not Sneeze during the Movies

April 23, 2010


"When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die."

Eleanor Roosevelt



A remarkable woman in her own right; not because she was the First Lady but because she was who she was--she believed in causes. She always made a contribution to the world.

In a way, I am trying to make a contribution. The contribution is to you, the blog follower. Remember medicine is a calling according to Sir William Osler but it has to more than that. I easily get stagnant...not bored, but always eager to continue to test myself by learning. Learning to knit, to identify plants and herbs and to communicate better. These are just some of my contributions.

I do want to finish the Herbal properties, but we need to discuss a common problem right now. ALLERGIES!!!

The rise in the numbers of people complaining about allergies this season is astonishing. It has multiplied by last year. I could discuss how the Traditional Chinese medicine views allergies. It is assault by various evils, imbalance of fluid leading to dampness or some sort of weakness or deficiency. The external evil is the wind, which does make sense to me. Dampness makes me think of fungal infections (spores from different plants, which also makes sense). I do know the deficiency in Chinese medicine is the Qi, blood. This is a concept I honestly do not know much about. I rely on colleagues that deal with Traditional Chinese medicine.

As previously discussed, allergies can be food or environmental. I spent some time blogging in early March about allergies, especially to yeast. The herbs are used to nourish the body, particularly the immune system. The immune system needs a boosting when you have environmental allergies. You know the symptoms--itchy, watery eyes, rashes, puffy eyes, sore throat (from nasal dripping) and general fatigue. A combination of echinacea and liquorice is often used to treat hay fever. If you have high blood pressure, you must be careful using liquorice.

Chamomile and yarrow can be given daily as a tea for allergies. They soothe the allergic response.

Stinging Neetles ( fresh tea is the best) provide immediate relief for hay fever. It acts like the standard conventional antihistamines (except without the drowsiness)

. The best is always Vitamin C to decrease the inflammatory response. You can use it through eating more citrus fruits, which contain bioflavinoids. The bioflavinoid is quercetin, which helps decrease the release of histamine. Histamine causes the allergic response. How much Vitamin

Some use essential oils of lemon balm, yarrow and chamomile, which can used in a bath, for a massage and an inhalant.

This weekend, we will discuss more herbs and diseases. I will get back to the herbal properties on Monday.

The needle point above is entitled "At the Movies". It was given to the most loving, generous, considerate and caring man I have ever known--his name is Frederick Elias Byrd, my Rick. I am glad he hung it in the den. It was given to him for his 50th birthday.

Until tomorrow...


1 comment:

  1. ERRORS:

    When you cease to make ....

    I am glad he hung it in...

    Frederick Ellis Byrd

    ReplyDelete