Wednesday, April 21, 2010

SEEING THE WORLD ANEW- THROUGH PLANTS














April 21, 2010 "See the beautiful horizons ahead on the upward way. Keep going forward to the abundant life" Thanks KM I have tried to do this on every given day. No one is perfect so why try so hard? Just know that you try your best every single day.

Yesterday, the blog was about some of the properties of herbs. The last property was herbs as aphrodisiacs. How wonderful! Let's continue. Carminatives: These are herbs that relieve gas. I use an amino acid called L-glutamine and probiotics to do this but herbs are more soothing. Some of these include fennel, dill, ginger anise and caraway.

Demulcents: These are soothing herbs taken internally to protect damaged tissue. Sometimes used with a diuretic herb such as dandelion or astragalus, the herbs that are demulcents are marshmellow, comfrey, slippery elm and aloe vera. I love using aloe to relieve gas, bloating and reflux. I happen to use an Aloe from Father Romano Zago, born in Brazil on August 11, 1932. He was ordained a Friar in 1958. While in Pouso Novo Brazil, he learned from the locals about using an all potent aloe arborescens. The locals used it for treating cancer. I read his book and bought his aloe. I like the taste of this aloe. Remember all aloe is not the same aloe. I prefer the gel over the juice as the juice has more sugar. The best is to break a piece of the plant, squeeze out the aloe and taste it. Yummy!! Many herbalists classify aloe as a cholagogue. Cholagogues are herbs to promote the flow of bile.

Diaphoretics are herbs to induce sweating. I have seen some herbalists combine yarrow or elder flowers with ginger or cayenne pepper.

Diuretic herbs increase the flow of urine. In allopathic medicine, doctors use furosemide (lasix) or hydrochlorothiazides. As a supplement, I utilize an amino acid called taurine. I am now using parsley, uva iursi, dandelion, juniper and horsetail. I am using horsetail for my hair, but now I know why I am urinating more. It must have something to do with the 1 gallon of water I consume every day in my office, but I bet the horsetail plays a role.

The last property of herbs to be discussed today are the Emetics. Every good mother knows to use syrup of ipecac to induce vomiting for poisoning of a child. It is important to know what substance was ingested before giving it to a child. Other emetic herbs are bayberry, mustard seed and lobelia. I just learned that blessed thistle has the same effect.

I am looking forward to studying in Ithaca next month thanks to the support and love from Rick. Otherwise, I would not be able to attend. I am sure he would consider me taking a sabbatical when I go abroad to investigate herbs/plants with the bushmen. Time will tell. Tomorrow will be more herbal properties. The quote above is something a dear, dear friend EL gave to me. Rick actually put it to canvas. I haven't had time to needle point it. For those who read the blog, give me suggestions for the lettering and the background.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment