Sunday, April 18, 2010

HYPERTENSION MODEL - B sideways



















MAY 6, 2010

"Never make a permanent decision based on a temporary storm. Remind yourself, 'This too shall pass'!" - TD Jakes

How true is this statement for you? It certainly is for me. I must say 'this too shall pass' a hundred times a day. In my opinion, I do not think a higher power would put in front of me anything I could not handle. He or she knows how much I can handle.

For the last few blogs, I have concentrated on herbs for sexual stamina. It certainly was useful information. Usually, I know what I want to write about. I am not at home in my own environment for the next few days so my ideas and thoughts are fleeting. I do know that cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the number one killer among men and women. A component of CVD is high blood pressure, hypertension (HTN). The classification of hypertension has changed over the years based on medical classification JNC. It will soon change again according to JNC VIII. Most of us know that when taking the blood pressure with a cuff, there is a top number and a bottom number, systolic and diastolic respectively. The systolic blood pressure measures the contraction of the heart during the systolic phase while the diastolic blod pressure is when the heart is relaxing. Blood pressure differs from individual to individual, from morning to evening, from rest to exercise and from sitting to standing. Blood pressure should be taken in both arms in a sitting, standing and lying position. In the past, if the diastolic number was 100, it was considered hypertension. Then the number was lowered to 90 mmHg diastolic and now, in 2010, it is 85 mmHg. As we change the guidelines, more and more people have hypertension. Doctors should be in the practice of preventive care, not only during treatment when the disease entity has already occurred. Preventive care for HTN does fit the 7 lifestyle pyramid I am trying to teach. It involves a dietary lifestyle change as well as an exercise change. Number studies have concluded that a better diet rich in vegetables/fruits will decrease blood pressure. Exercise goes without discussing (until the blog turns to one month of exercise blogging). Both addictions and meditation can effect blood presure. Unfortunately, addictions such as smoking, drinking, coffee and use of illicit drugs adversely affect HTN whereas an addiction to yoga would benefit blood pressure. Meditation has been proven to be an effective measure to decrease HTN. This is one of the relaxation techniques. Acupunture and massage therapy also can be effective. The fifth lifestyle change of self-esteem can decrease blood pressure. This involves finding a hobby. This blog for me not only relaxes me but allows me, for better or worse, to show you my hobbyy. For those of you that are new, needle craft is my hobby. Anger and resentment, the sixth lifestyle change is most often overlooked. Any anger and resentment will lead to our body becoming toxic. It can cause a variety of disease from cardiovasular disease (CVD) to cancer. And finally, self-love is the premier of all lifestyle changes.
I know you have heard this over and over again. It never hurts to hear it again.

Millions of people have HTN. It is the usual medical practice to start the patient on a medication without even discussing dietary and exercise regimens. Your physician can give you a prescription for dietary changes and an exercise prescription. I do utilize conventional blood pressure medications but I also include dietary changes, supplementation with vitamins and nutrients as well as herbal therapies. I educate the patient. This is what I am trying to do each and every day.

Tomorrow I will blog about some supplemnents to decrease hypertension as magnesium, coenzyme Q 10 and arginine. I will also discuss a new study on hibiscus and hypertension. Did you know that artichoke bulb can lower blood pressure?

Who is TD Jakes? Thomas Dexter "T. D." Jakes Sr. (born June 9, 1957) is an American entrepreneur and chief pastor of the The Potter's House, a non-denominational mega church, with 30,000 members, located in Dallas, Texas. T.D. Jakes' church services and evangelistic sermons are broadcast on The Potter's Touch. His sermons are available on both CD and DVD. I encourage you to listen to one of his sermons. There are many televison stations that show his sermons.

The needle craft is another one of the B series. I think they will finally be coasters but I have been undecided. The B is sideways as blood pressure is always uncertain, ever changing and sideways. The sample was shown in other blogs in other colors. By the way, it is an example of embriodery.

No comments:

Post a Comment