Monday, April 12, 2010

THE CHOLESTEROL SAGA ...CONTINUES












April 12, 2010 Monday


"Let life's lessons grow into wisdom so that you may be the light for someone else's darkness"


Without a doubt my life lessons are growing into wisdom and guiding the steps of my future. I never thought of myself as a good example for someone who is in a dark place. We all have had dark places in life. This weekend I was teaching as well as learning in Phoenix, Arizona at The Southwest College of Medicine. I feel invigorated. I have gone to this conference for the last 5 years. It is herbal based at this Natropathic school. Sometimes I think I sort of missed my calling. I believe I am a healer. All physicians are healers if they chose that path. I feel so close to a higher power when around medicinal plants. I can communicate with these plants. I met an amazing woman, Rosita Arvigo. She had a presence of complete serenity. Words cannot explain how I felt. She read a poem (prayer) which I feel compelled to share here:


In the name of the father, the mother and the holy spirit

"I am the one who collects plants to heal the sicknesses of people... I give thanks to the spirit of the plants... I have faith with all my heart in the great healing power of the plants..

It is important for the next week to continue the discussion on the nation's leading killer for both men and women among all racial and ethnic groups...Cardiovascular Disease (CVD). Almost 1 million Americans die of Cardiovascular disease each year, which accounts for 42% of all deaths. The sad fact is that it is preventable. Did you know that it is the leading cause of death in women worldwide, killing about 8 million each year? This is more than 18 times the rate of breast cancer--a shocking statistic.

It is now estimated that one out of every 4 Americans have CVD. There are about 6 million hospitalizations each year due to CVD. The conventional or allopathic medical approach is all about surgery and medications. This is what our cardiology training taught us. No one discussed prevention. No one discussed dietary and exercise lifestyle changes. "Mental stress" was not even discussed.

You heard this here first: there is something more than Type A and Type B personalities. There is a new personality modality, the Type D or "distressed personality". This Type D behavior is characterized by the tendency to experience negative emotions and to inhibit these emotions while avoiding social contact with others. Can you think of anyone with a Type D personality?

I will propose another new personality disorder called Type G behavior. This new type of behavior is characterized by the tendency to always give in to others, while not giving to yourself. It is the constant need for acquiring the acceptance of others.

I feel the seven lifestyle changes that I have proposed can be applied to any disease. 1. Dietary 2. Exercise 3. Addictions 4. Meditation 5. Self Esteem 6. Anger and Resentment and 7. Self Love. It is true that I am spending a lot of time on Dietary Lifestyle Changes and Disease, but that is the base of this large lifestyle triangle. It is the base of the iceberg.

Hopefully you have already learned that poor nutrition with elevated glucose and insulin and obesity is associated and closely linked to CVD. Lack of physical activity, tobacco use and periodontal disease are also risk factors. In the last two days, we focused on cholesterol. I will discuss other risk factors in addition to supplements/herbs for the heart. I will explore for you, in depth, the natural treatment for cholesterol other than the $900/yr for you to start a statin drug.

The canvas above is a combination of petit point for the 'yellow roses' while the background is needle point with French wool from Paris. A patient who cleaned out her closet gave me skeins and skeins of French Parisian wool. I try to use it every chance I get. I am sure you have surmised that flowers, plants and birds are dear to my heart.

Photo credit: Rick Byrd

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment