Friday, April 2, 2010

Self Growth and Shopping Tips

APRIL 2, 2010


















"Leaving your comfort zone of current patterns and behaviors is a very courageous step toward self-growth" - Thanks, Karen



It is a very courageous step if you are changing your dietary lifestyle. No one said it would be easy, including me. Before moving on to the next lifestyle change, which will be exercise, we still have lots to cover on the dietary changes.



If you have started eating differently either by completely eliminating cow's dairy and/or wheat products or you have cut down on these products, I want to tell you some important shopping tips.


1. You must avoid sudden trips to the grocery store. That is impulsive. These sudden trips increase your time in the store while deciding what to eat. You will end up buying things you do not need, thus wasting money.


2. Go with a list and update it on a regular basis. Again, being an organized shopper reduces those impulsive behaviors.


3. Weekly menu planning is essential for variety and rotation of meals. I would set a day and time to do this. Since I am an honest individual, I must tell you I do not shop. Rick does the shopping. He makes fun of me because I do not know the inside of a grocery store. I have been to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and BJ's but it takes me longer to find an item I want and need, especially since I am looking for the gluten-free products.


Everyone wants to save money in these economic times. I know we do and we tend to shop in bulk these days. Oats, grains and beans can be bought in bulk. Frozen vegetables can be bought in bulk. The only problem is you need to get to Costco, BJ's, etc. and then have the storage room.

You could also buy in small quantities and look for sales. This is more realistic for city folk.

A great idea is to buy from the Farmer's Market. They can be found all over New York City. To find one near you visit the Grow NYC website. There is also an Amish Market on Roosevelt Island. Yes, it is part of NYC and you do not need a passport to get there. Again, being honest, I have only been to the Amish Market twice whereas Rick goes every Saturday morning.


Perhaps the most important tip is this: "DON'T SHOP WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY!"



The needlepoint above represents spring. I love the poppy. Not only because Dorothy, The Tin Man, The Lion and the Scarecrow feel asleep in the poppy field while trying to get to the Emerald City, but because the poppy contains opium. It was originally used as a source of pain medication. It still is in some countries. Unfortunately, pain medications can be addicting. We will discuss that in future months when discussing addictive behaviors.


I also love this needlepoint because I gave it to my daughter, Alyssa. I decided not to give it framed as it is pictured, but as a bed pillow for her new red comforter. I will show it on the blog later with other new pillows.


Photography credit: Rick Byrd



Until tomorrow...Going organic

No comments:

Post a Comment