Saturday, April 24, 2010

PLANTS RULE BY SAMURAI


April 24, 2010 Saturday
"No progress can compare with the relief of suffering"
and
"Don't stay in the same pasture too long"
I like these two quotes together. No one individual should stay in the same position for too long. It perhaps creates boredom and unhappiness. This is not true of everyone but an observation. My new pasture or calling is the earth and the plants. It has always been from a child. The relief of suffering can be from other sources other than medications. It can be from laughing, meditation, prayer, companionship and herbs/plants.
I should start in the basics. The last week of blogging I have been 'hooked' on the dirt and the plants/herbs. I needed to discuss the basic properties of herbs for which I have not finished. Yesterday, with all the allergy sufferers, I wanted to make some suggestions. I mentioned Vitamin C on yesterday's blog. We do know that vitamins do enhance resistance, especially Linus Pauling's discovery of mega doses of Vitamin C. Lemon juice is the best known source of vitamin C. Lemons also contain citrin and hesperidin. Paprika (Capsicum) is also rich in Vitamin C. Rosa canina (dog rose and other rose species) contain plenty of the vitamin also. Rosehips are the most commonly used. Rosehip tea is used for colds, allergies and even influenza. It does have a mild diuretic property so be prepared to go to the toilet more often. I like cold rosehip tea as it is a thrist-quencher. It is a lot better than Gatorade since there is no artificial sugars. You can obtain rose water and rose oil from the petals. I mentioned how sipping that tea can help hemorrhages. The blackcurrant ( Ribes nigrum) also contains plenty of Vitamin C. The redcurrant has a lower Vitamin C quantity so it is better to eat than to use it medicinally.
Okay, now there are a variety of herbal formulations. I want to mention them in case I talk and talk. I do not want you to get lost in the blog.
There are:
1. Infusions - flowers, leaves and seeds infused in hot water
2. Decoctions - harder plant issues used as wood and bark and extracted from boiling
3. Maceration - extracts made from cold water
You can combine any of the above
4. Extracts and fluid extracts
5. Aromatic waters
6. Syrups
7. Spirits - not alcohol, these are used externally
8. Suppositories
9. Ointments
I cannot think of any other formulations at this time. Well, I guess a liniment can be called a formulation, although I think it is considered an ointment
The needle point above it the "Samurai". I completed it at the end of last year. I made the tiny squares more noticeable with a different, uplifting stitch. I love this pillow. He will protect me in my new ventures to come in the next half of a century. Life will get interesting after 50. I am truly getting anxious and nervous about this number. I do not know why, but I had to stay that. Possibly by saying it, I will be relieved.
Photo credit: Rick Byrd
Pillow design: Deb and Vasilika
Stitcher: ME
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment