Tuesday, April 20, 2010

HERBAL PROPERTIES -

April 20, 2010 Tuesday

"As God is my witness, as God is my witness, they're not going to lick me! I'm going to live through this, and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again - no, nor any of my folks! If I have to lie, steal, cheat, or kill! As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again."


--Vivien Leigh as Scarlett Ohara in Gone With the Wind




We would never have to be hungry again if we turn to mother nature. Plants are a great food source. Many plants, flowers and shrubs have medicinal properties. In yesterday's blog I mentioned ginger, tumeric and Indian Gooseberry. I have decided for many reasons to discuss herbs under dietary lifestyle changes. Start adding herbs as part of your new dietary lifestyle. I will selectively discuss various herbs.


As an introduction, I will share some of the various properties of herbs. The remarkable aspect of herbs is their combination of several healing properties. Each herb or a combination of herbs can have specific effects on the body. In a daily blog I cannot discuss all the properties of herbs. I will try to cover as many as I can and will continue daily.


Alternatives: These are known as the blood purifiers. These tend to alter the condition of the body. They treat toxicity of the blood. Some of these assimilate nutrients and help with elimination. An example is dandelion, which combines its liver tonic effects with its diuretic effects.


Analgesics: These do what they say--they relieve pain. Many of us use aspirin. Did you know that aspirin is derived from the herb, white willow bark? Some herbs relieve pain by reducing cramping in the body. Another herb, kava kava, reduces pain by directly affecting the nervous system.


Antacids: These neutralize excess acid in the body, especially the stomach and small intestines. Peppermint, slippery elm, aloe, fennel and dandelion are all used. While sitting in the


Antiasthmatics: These are herbs that relieve asthma. When I was an emergency room attending, I used to use magnesium to relieve asthma attacks. An herb, yerba santa, helps break down mucous production. I haven't used many in this property but literature states comfrey and white cherry bark are also used.


Antibiotics: This is a large property of many herbs. There was a book I read years ago, The Ten Herbal Antibiotics. Of course, we need to use herbs as antibiotics because antibiotics are used too frequently and too excessively. Some bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics, especially when we use the "high gun" ones like a Z pack or levaquin. Important herbs in this class are aloe vera, wild flower honey, echinacea, golden seal, garlic, grape seed extract and myrrh. I have never used juniper berries, but some say they are effective.


Antipyretics: These are the cooling herbs to reduce fevers. If they have strong cooling properties, these are called refrigerants (like refrigerator). Some of the herbs used here are basil, gota kola (I used this herb in an autistic child), skullcap and alfalfa.


Antiseptic: These herbs are applied to the skin to prevent growth of bacteria. My favorite herb in this class is calendula. Some other herbs are myrrh, thyme, pine and garlic.


Antispasmodics: Who doesn't need an herb to prevent muscle spasm, especially in the colon? If you follow a yeast-free diet, you will not need these herbs. The best is lobelia, which is also used to help a smoker quit. Other herbs are black cohash (used also for peri menopausal flashes), valerian (also used for anxiety), kava kava and even raspberry leaves.


Aphrodisiacs: You were waiting for this last category. What individual would not want to improve sexual energy or libido? These include damiana, tribulus, ashwaganda, angelica and ginseng. I have also seen horny goat weed advertised as well as burdock root.


Remember these herbs are drugs. Although you can go to your local health food store and obtain these, I caution against this. Herbs can interact with conventional medications. Always consult your doctor.


The needle point bookmark is of catching a 'fish'. It was a delicate pattern to complete and was given to Michael Byrd as a Christmas gift some years ago. I decided to put it here because the next blogs are like catching a big fish--herbs. This is a passion. I feel it is my calling. Not that medicine is not, but herbs need to be understood and used by more conventionally trained MDs.


Photo credit: Michael Byrd


Until tomorrow...




No comments:

Post a Comment