Tuesday, May 4, 2010

AROMAS AS APHRODISIAC May 5 2010


MAY 5, 2010
"Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back. Always chose the path that leads to wisdom" Buddha
I have learned as we all have what holds us back. I feel it FEAR. Fear of success, fear of failure, fear of economic insecurity in these uncertain times--just plan fear. Although I know what can lead me forward, I used to tread with hesitation and uncertainty. I have learned to take the plunge providing I have the tools to lead me down the path of wisdom , serenity and peace. I am no longer straddled on the banks of a stream. I used to be indecisive yet impulsive. Is fear really your anger? Perhaps that is a question to be pondered.
Remember reading about Spanish fly? I first encountered it in SCREW magazine years ago. I was intrigued. It is made from the remains of a Mediterranean beetle (Cantharis vesicatoria) It supposedly stimulates the vagina and the penis. It irritates the mucous membranes of these organs and even can cause severe blistering. It has caused hepatic (liver) and renal ( kidney) failure. It is a Class I poison. Who knew !
Ephedra or Ma Huang (Ephedra sinica) This herb was in many protein power drinks to increase your energy. It was promoted as a muscle builder used by many It had various other names - Herbal Ecstasy and even Cloud 9 It was a legal high and substituted for uppers and Ecstasy. It has major cardiac consequences as high blood pressure, irregular heart beats and even heart attacks. Thank goodness it is off the market. The last herb that can be dangerous is the infamous, mandrake. There are two varieties, spring and fall, mainly from the Mediterranean, especially Greece. It was once considered a magical herb to lure the other sex ( or perhaps the same sex)
It smells horrible. Never understood why people sought after this herb
Can smell be an aphrodisiac? Of course it can yet the sense, smell is the least understood. Animals and insects use pheromones. These can be powerful sexual stimulants. Can you imagine love at first smell. I have never thought of a smell when attracted to someone. Usually it is the eyes or the teeth. I have others say it is other things--the bust size, the perfect ass, or even the package. It is the physical beauty or the emotional/spiritual beauty. Do humans possess pheromones or a scent? It has been studied and researched about human sex pheromones are not technically aphrodisiacs. They do NOT directly stimulate the sexual organs not the sexual appetite. They might enhance the mood and the sensuality. These are scents. Perhaps the scent of the flowers above can induce a mood. The flowers scent might make you feel warm, more confident, more attractive and alluring. There have been many studies on the effects of male and female pheromones on males and females. This has led to a new field of medicine--AROMATHERAPY. One thing I do know is that aromatherapy does reveal the powers of Photochemicals. These can be made into oils which can heighten or soothe the body, alter mental states and maybe quiet the emotions. I have not personally used aromatherapy in my practice. I would rather refer to a practitioner familiar with aromatherapy. I did read and recommend The Pocket Guide to Aromatherapy by Kathi Keville. Perhaps this can be your new self esteem hobby. One of my colleagues decided to become familiar with Back Flower Essences.
BOOK OF THE WEEK:
The Sexual Herbal: Prescriptions for Enhancing Love and Passion authored by Brigitte Mars is a book to read about aphrodisiac herbs. Great advice in her book. It is an easy read for the curious despite its 502 pages, and priced for any budget.
It is in my cart. Who doesn't want to improve sexual health and function.
Tonight a reminder by my Aunt Mary stated that age is nothing but a number. How true !
Photo credit: Patrick Fratellone
The flower arrangement above will make a great needle project)
Until tomorrow... a new day and a new blog

1 comment:

  1. Smells definitely have influenced me throughout my life. As a package designer working with perfumes I can say most scents today turn me off. The few that I enjoy are natural and more in the wood range: Frankincense, myrrh and cedar. Today I'm pondering my hobby. So many choices!

    ReplyDelete