Monday, May 17, 2010

HERBS FOR EACH DECADE OF YOUR LIFE - May 14th Weekend/May 17th




WILDCRAFTING FLOWERS
"Remove yourself from worldly concerns so that you may seek the peace and serenity of solitude today"

Did anyone miss me? I am not the first person to go back to school at an age of nearly 50. I have had many of my patients attend various programs/schools even at the age of 75. I have mentioned that I feel plants are my calling or rather herbs are my calling. I had peace and serenity this weekend in Ithaca, New York--peaceful at night except for the frogs. I read, rested and learned. I even felt empowered to learn new things. I did remember what the parts of a plant were from Mr. Sette and Mr. Lombardo (my 6th and 9th grade Biology/Science teachers, respectively). I have to give thanks to my classmates from all walks of life and the instructor, 7song, but I must give the most gratitude to Rick for always supporting me in these ventures, being who he is and waiting to hear my non-stop speaking of plants when I arrived home.

Since we all should make lifestyle changes, I wanted to write about some herbs we might think of taking at various times in our lives. I was given the opportunity to start herbs at a very young age. As I approach the 5th decade of my life (50), I was wondering what herbs I gave my kids when they were younger. I remember when I fell down in our driveway at 8 years old and hurt my knee, my grandfather (Poppy) went into the garden, grabbed a bunch of colored flowers, crushed them between his hands and rubbed them on my knee. The pain and bleeding stopped. I think some of the flowers were rose petals, but the others were yellow in color. I used Calendula cream when my kids (now adults) got scratches and scrapes.

So do you want to live a long and vigorous life? Of course you do! Who doesn't! I believe that neetles and dandelion are at the top of the list. I will put their genus and species respectively, but honestly I do not know their families yet. (Urtica dioca, and Taraxacum offcinale) These plants are rich in anti-oxidants, which help your body with free radical damage as we age. As we get older and get into our 20's and 30's, I want you to concentrate on anti-inflammatory herbs. For those females that are following the blog, I will discuss some herbs at a latter date for conception and pelvic congestion. Take an adaptogen - these are the best ways to help the body with stress. There are a few herbal adaptogens which will help the immune system. You can use American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius), Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) and Siberian ginseng or eleuthero Eleutherococcus senticosus. I do not know the Family names yet but will get it to you. I like these herbs as teas or tinctures.

I know some herbalists who use ashwaganda (Withania somnifera). I have used it for sexual enhancement in men and women, but many use it for regulating sleep patterns, reducing stress and strengthening the immune sytsem. Duirng my college and medical years, I took a lot of ginseng to help me with stress. In my 30's and 40's, the most effective and life-saving measure was a twelve step program. It changed my whole life, which will be discussed when we talk about the third lifestyle change- addiction. In my 40's, I started to concentrate on my heart by taking hawthorne, garlic and lots of green tea. I wrote two articles in peer review journals on these herbs (see our website www.fratellonemedical.com) under Articles. I love garlic and green tea. Being Italian, I have a specific feeling towards garlic. I need to start to protect my brain as I am approaching 50. I have been thinking of consuming skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) and common sage (Saliva officinalis) per James Duke. I admire and respect Dr. Duke as an herbalist over his many years. I am currently trying to read 'Medicinal Plants of the Bible', but botanical schoolwork will have to come first these days. It will have to be Harrington, Newcombne's and Gleason.
I know as I get into my mid 50's, I will start to take Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens). I use lots of Saw palmetto for my men in my practice. Mae West used to say "It is not the men in life that count, but the life in my men". How true is that!

While in Ithaca, I found an old book from 1933 on Herbs. It is fascinating because I love the history and folk lore of herbs.

The needle point above was given to Nancy Byrd (Rick's mom) for new bloggers. I had it ready for her for Mother's Day. It does tell you about this weekend. It was about
green (as the backing of the pillow) and about flowers (which is the center petit point with surrounding French wool needle point). I am working on another one similar to the above but in a different color.

Photo credit: Michael Byrd
Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I definitely missed you! I'm catching up now on the blog, from the beginning, taking notes and hopefully learning alot about the lifestyle changes I'm trying to make.

    ReplyDelete