Sunday, May 23, 2010

VITAMIN C - Water Soluble - May 23, 2010



"The value of experience is not in seeing much, but in seeing wisely." - William Osler

"It isn't what I do, but how I do it. It isn't what I say, but how I say it, and how I look when I do it and say it." - Mae West

"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make all the same mistakes - only sooner." - Tallulah Bankhead

"Instead of over-reacting, try under-reacting because THIS SHOWS wisdom, patience and peace." - KM

There are four quotes today. The first from who I consider the master physician, Sir William Osler. The middle two were actresses who graced both the theatre and the silver screen. Two great quotes in honor of the Drama Desk Awards this evening (Rick and I will be in attendance). The last quote really does sum up the previous three quotes if you read them over again. Who doesn't over-react? I know I certainly do. This over-reacting creates a form of addiction - 'drama' or not knowing what to say at first, you may over-react. I have learned to under-react. It shows maturity and growth in you as an individual. Why throw temper tantrums, sulk or put on a sad face after you over-react. Do nothing...try under-reacting. As it states above, this shows wisdom, patience and peace.

Today I will leave the B vitamins, even though I still have biton, B6, B12 and even folic acid to discuss. I wanted to go right to the anti-cancer, immune system booster, anti-heart disease vitamin. I am talking about the properties of Vitamin C. Thank you Linus Pauling! The chemist wrote a book abput how you couldn't get enough vitamin C and he wrote about mega doses of Vitamin C. These mega doses ranged from 15,000 mg (15 grams) to 40,000 mg (40 grams). It is not upsurd.

Historically, the lack of Vitamin C was termed scurvy. Scurvy is characterized by edema, hemorrhage, weakness, softness in bones and teeth and lesions of the skin. Sailors in historical times who ate fruits such as limes when aboard ship prevent this deadly disease. Those individuals where called 'limeys'.

The functions and importance of Vitamin C is seen in collagen biosynthesis. It is an essential cofactor for enzymes that synthesize collagen proteins. Collagen helps you form strong bones and teeth and connective tissue.

There are more and more studies on the role of Vitamin C in cancer. It does augment the activity of the immune system against cancer. There are few studies that state that higher doses than normal (Linus Pauling doses) can cause growth of cancer cells and if taken while a patient is undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, then it can lessen the benefits of these conventional treatments. I do believe that certain chemotherapy and cancer can be beneficial, though few. I do believe that every modality of medicine, whether conventional, herbal, massage, accupuncture, meditation, yoga, homeopathy, et al must be utilized. The best treatment for cancer is a change in your dietary habits.

I know I was given a glass of orange jucie in the morning as a child attending school. This, my mother said, would prevent the common cold. Today, a glass of OJ is pase. I would rather eat fruits that are high in antioxidants and less in sugar (low glyucemic). The fruits that are high antioxidants and low in sugar are all berries. Oranges, grapefruits, lemons and lime are rich in Vitamin C but are acidic and moderate high glycemic fruits.

In heart disease, Vitamin C may control the damage of free radical in the blood system. These free radicals cause all diseases and can cause the oxidation of LFDL cholesterol, thus causing plaques and cardiovascular disease (CVD).

The photograph below was taken is Los Angeles, California. It is from a lemon tree in the Garden of Quinn. The Garden of Quinn is exquisite and is being renovated as we speak. Gracious thanks to the photographer for allowing me to photograph these lemons as well as art work (which will be converted to needle work in the future).
Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits and some vegetables as broccoli and brussel sprouts. The fruits that have an excellent source are strawberries, lemons, oranges and pineapples. For those with an unstable blood sugaror diabetes, be careful of the amount of sugar contained in these fruits.
Photo credit: Patrick Fratellone
Place: Garden of Quinn, Los Angeles CA

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment