Friday, May 21, 2010

May 21- Hashimoto's Disease



"Healthy barriers will give you the freedom to pursue your development apart from those whose approval you seek out"

I never used to have a barrier! What is a barrier--a blockage, a dam, a separation from one thing to another? I never realized I needed a barrier to protect myself. I think of it now as space. I need space between myself and others. I remember seeing a woman who said to a bystander, "You are invading my space!" 'So he was standing so close by,' I thought. I never thought there was anything wrong with that. Perhaps this is a bad example but a healthy barrier (space) has allowed me to develop into the man I am today. The second part is something I am still learning a day at a time. For myself, and maybe for others, I used to think I needed approval of others to make myself worthy. That was a very low self-esteem moment. That was years ago but sometimes I slip into that mode. It is a mode switch that turns on and off. A day at a time has taught me about self-esteem. That is the 6th lifestyle change, which we will discuss in later days in the blog. I need to seek out my own approval and my Higher Power's (God's) approval - that is all.

I was to blog about Niacin today but I changed my mind. Why not?! It is my blog! I have been seeing many patients with Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis. This is the name of the autoimmune disease that affects 14 million Americans. The body makes its own antibodies that attack the thyroid gland, which results in a low production of the thyroid hormone, both T3 and T4. This is called hypothyroidism or an under active thyroid (low production - hypo means low). You might face symptoms of cold hands and feet, hair thinning or loss, constipation and fatigue. You go to the doctor and he states your thyroid is normal by measuring the thyroid stimulating hormone - TSH (NL .27 - 4.0). If your TSH is less than <.27, then you would think less than means low. NO - A low TSH <.27 means hyperactive (over) or hyperthyroidism, whereas a high TSH (>4.0) means hypothryoid or under active thyroid. So you have your thyroid TSH checked and your TSH is 2.0, which is between the normal range (.27-4.0). You have all of the symptoms above and the doctor states nothing is wrong. You know there is something wrong. I repeat the TSH and it is also normal but I check your Free T3, Free T4, the thyroid autoantibodies, TPO and thyroglobulin antibodies. Both Free T3 and Free T4 are low, now meaning you are hypothryoid and you have a high TPO (thyroid peroxidase antibodies). You have HASHIMOTO's thyroiditis. Read this again and again to make sure you understand what I am talking about. Other symptoms of Hashimoto's include puffy face, depression, dry skin, weight gain, joint or muscle pain, increased total cholesterol, falsely elevated good cholesterol (HDL) and even fullness in the throat.

What causes Hashimoto's (named after a physician)? Who knows! Seriously, the exact cause is unknown. Is it the environment - a virus, stress-induced, or iodine excess?I find it related to a dairy and wheat allergy. I see it often associated with gluten sensitivity (to such foods as barley, rye, oats and wheat - BROW) and to the extent of celiac disease.
There are several dietary measures to help this autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's). L-carnitine is an amino acid important in energy metabolism. I use this amino acid to improve heart muscle function or low ejection fraction. Reduced levels of L-carnitine have been measured in the skeletal muscle of patients with hypothyroidism (low thyroid). Maybe that is why a patient with Hashimoto's has joint and muscle pain--just a thought! The muscle carnitine function does return to normal when the under active thyroid function is regulated. Hypothesis suggests that L-carnitine inhibits the T3 hormone entry into the cell.
Another useful agent is iodoral (iodine), which is inorganic, non radioactive iodine. More and more Hashimoto's I encounter, I know there is a decreased intake of iodine in this country. Remember I am NOT talking about radioactive iodine. I see those patients that receive iodoral or iodine regularly have decreased levels of the autoantibodies. Often there is a need for thyroid supplementation with either synthetic (synthroid - levothyroxine) or cytomel (liothyronine) versus natural thyroid (derived from bovine) and iodoral.
Do not go out and buy and supplement iodine if you are tired. Seek medical attention. Have the doctor measure iodine levels and all of the above levels.

In a way, we are going to discuss niacin or nicotinic acid. This B vitamin is a cofactor in the production of energy ATP (remember the power house of the cell -mitochondria). There are studies to show that intake on niacin over periods of time will decrease the autoantibodies.

The photograph above was taken in the woods (Into the Woods) of Ithaca, New York during Botany 101 with 7song. It is a Blue Bead Lily. Blue Bead Lily (Clintonia borealis) is a plant of moist, cool forests, often referred to by its Genus name of Clintonia. The Genus is named after DeWitt Clinton (1733-1812), a New York naturalist, ten-term mayor of New York City and popular governor of that state. The signature deep blue berry of the Blue Bead Lily is considered toxic to humans. The traditional medicinal uses of Blue Bead Lily include an aid to burns, an anti-inflammatory and as a tea derived from the root used to assist childbirth. More modern uses include the root’s production of diosgenin, a chemical vital in the production of the synthetic human hormone progesterone. I need to take a photograph of this Lily from the side next time.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. I've had an underactive thyroid since I was 10 years old. The doctor's prescription did nothing for me and I felt so depressed that time. So, I tried bovine thyroid and I became normal again.

    ReplyDelete