Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Integrative Health Care May 18, 2010




MAY 18 , 2010

"Your Higher Power has never promised to make your troubles go away, but your higher power did promsie to give YOU strength and power to overcome them"

I rather always mention a Higher Power rather than God because everyone has their own version of God. It might be the God of your religious belief, your guardian angel, the world's nature, or Good Orderly Direction. For me, it is spiritual. Although my beloved mom told me never to discuss religion, sex and politics--I am way beyond that. Remember nothing is ever put in your way that your higher power knows you can't handle. Try to be spiritual. When we discuss the 4th lifestyle change, which ismeditation, I will discuss this further.

For those of you that are new to this blog, I practice Integrative Medicine. It used to be called Alternative, Complimentary or Holistic but the newest terminology is Integrative. I believe this is the Medicine of the Future. I practice the 'people's medicine'. I am Paul Muni in the 1959 film, 'The Last Angry Man', which tells the story of a television producer who profiles the life of a physician. I love this film. Mr Muni's 30 year film career allowed him to receive five nominations with him winning the Best Actor Award for the 1936 film 'The Life of Louis Pasteur'(another favorite movie of mine). His character actually talks and spends time with patients, which I have done since I started practicing medicine.

Recently in Explore, The Journal of Science and Healing May/June 2010, a review article was published on 'Research on Integrative Healthcare: Context and Priorties'.
The definition of integrative health used to be the best of allopathic or conventional and holistic medicine. In this review, it is defined as prospective, relationship based, patient-centered, comprehensive and holistic healthcare that focuses on the patients' priorities for well-being as well as preventing, managing, rehabiltating and palliating disease and injuries. Although that is a long definition--READ IT AGAIN. It is simply stating Focusing on the Patients' Body, Mind and Spirit. The four authors are from four great institutions, Sloan Kettering, NYC, Bastyr University (a naturopathic training university for naturopathic physicians in Washington State), Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and Wake Forest University in North Carolina. It is a must for all to read. I will try to put it on my practice web site.

There has to be a patient-health care practitioner relationship taking into consideration the patient's socioeconomic status, financial status and environmental and social issues. Send this blog to everyone you know. Integrative Medicine is not a Grass Roots movement--it is not going away. Herbs, plants, massage, acupuncture and all other forms of medicine are NOT disappearing. The general population wants a better solution. I do not believe that all of the integrative medicine must be at the patient's expense, especially for the health care practitioners who practice it and do not take insurance. This will change. IT MUST CHANGE.

You do know that the basic change needs to come from the people. The best thing you can do for yourself is face the fear and try to the best of your ability to change one's lifestyle first--the dietary lifestyle. This is what I have been trying to say since I first started this blog on March 11th, 2010.

Yesterday, I blogged about Herbs for every Decade of your Life. I thought it was informative and made sense. I want you to try a new drink--Mint Tea with Grapefruit Juice or Raspberry Leaf Tea with Pomegranite Juice. Tonight, I have made a pot of White Willow Bark tea. I obtained the loose tea in Ithaca. I feel Rick needed it to heal his arm.

Regardless of what disease entity you might have or someone you know might have, encourage them to change their dietary lifestyle. Whether it be high blood pressure, diabetes or even cancer. Did you know that there are herbs that a cancer patient can take safely when undergoing chemotherapy? These herbs have been studied to help with the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation. Some only think of mistletoe at Christmas time because you are supposed to kiss someone if you are both under the mistletoe. There is so much to write about and for me to learn and enhance your knowledge.

Photo credit: Patrick Fratellone (Yes, I actually took these on my first Botanical Weekend in Ithaca.)

I promised a photo on my favorite herb, Lily of the Valley (Convallaria sp).
I believe I posted it on the Mother's Day blog. It actually brought me back to my mother's own home garden. When I was meditating by the lake at the B and B I stayed at in Ithaca, it was growing by the lake. It was a magical moment.

The second photograph was taken on a nature walk. It is a rare plant, The Lady Slipper, which is an orchid. I will write on it in the future. I need to study more about this plant species. Some of you have seen this type of orchid but I never thought I would see it in the wild in New York State. Maybe in the tropics or Costa Rica, but never in the Finger Lake area. What a peaceful moment came over me when I saw that incredible plant. Enjoy!

By the way, Rick is a much better photographer! He has taught me a lot about the camera and the eye of the individual taking the photo.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment