Thursday, February 10, 2011

FEBRUARY 11, 2011 TANGLED WEB OF YARN
























"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to STOP me."
Ayn Rand


I absolutely love this quote. If you want to do something - do it. As long as your task is not against the law, no one can stop you. If you want to paint, then paint. If you want to keep bees, then keep bees. If you want to walk the beach in the nude providing there is no law against it, then do it. If expressing yourself makes you happy, then I want you to be happy. I just want you NOT to do anything that could harm you or another person. If you want to keep bees after a beekeeping course, then do so. It is not against the law. By doing something you want to do, you will boost your self esteem. Craft making hobbies can boost your self esteem. Some of my hobbies are needle crafting and beekeeping. In the fall I started a new hobby after some classes. It was knitting. I am not the best knitter, but I do not have to be perfect.



KNIT ONE, PURL TWO. You have heard this phrase. The hobby personality of the knitter suits me well. The personality is artistic, crafty, independent, meditative, meticulous and patient. For those who tend to isolate themselves, this could be a good or bad idea. Knitting is a craft that turns yarn into larger pieces of fabric by looping it around itself using two needles. Knitting can be done by machine, but I find it more rewarding knitting by hand. Different techniques are used for knitting and each project might require different yarns, needles and patterns.

Since most knitting is hand knitting, let me briefly discuss hand knitting. You begin by attaching a series of yarn loops to a needle that's pointed at one end and has a knob at the other end to prevent the loops from slipping off. The second needle is then used to create another row of loops, which are then slipped through a loop from the first needle. As more and more rows build up, you will eventually have a finished product.

I found it difficult to teach myself. I bought the Dummy series- Knitting for Dummies. I do encourage interested novices to take a class or two. I took classes with my friend, Carol. You will need certain tools to start. I suggest http://www.yarn.com/ for supplies. Michael's craft store is a great place to get supplies for a new project. It is cheaper for the beginner. If you want a knitter's opinion I suggest going to a knitting store and asking a shop clerk for the type of yarn needed for some of your new projects.

The tools needed are:

1. Pattern
2. Knitting needles of the correct gauge for your project
3. Yarn
4. Scissors
6. Tape measure
7. Stitch marker

I did do some private lessons at http://www.boymeetspurl.com/ Contact Josh at josh@boymeetspurl.com for a reasonable private lesson. He is amazing. His work is beyond reproach. It really reinforced what I learned in class, from the books, and watching http://www.youtube.com/ videos on knitting.

I was very proud when more than 10 individuals opened their Christmas gifts this year. I knitted 6 hats, 2 scarfs (one more than 4 feet long) and two neck warmers.


The following paragraph appeared in a 2007 news column:


"Yes, men knit. There are so many wonderful male knitters out there that those of us in the knitting world don't question it. But out there among the muggles anything that smudges the stereotype of little grannies sitting on their porches knitting (not that there's anything wrong with grannies knitting) just rocks their world. I'd say the non-knitting world needs a little rocking, wouldn't you?" (for those of you that do not read Harry Potter- muggles are non wizards)


Point of Interest: The first example of knitting dates back to the Nazca culture of Peru around 100 BC

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment