Monday, February 14, 2011

MONDAY FEBRUARY 14, 2011 HAPPY THEOBROMA DAY









"If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."


"You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot live without."


Every time he makes me smile, I want to grab the entire sky with all its stars and put it in the palm of his hands. That is exactly how I feel not only today but almost every day. I cannot say every day because relationships are not perfect. Today is a big day for roses, cards and of course chocolate. As a child in grammar school we gave 'hearts' with different sayings to the girl sweetheart in our class. I wanted to give one to Andrew, my best friend but I gave one to Joanne. I recall that my first girlfriend was my next door neighbor, Lori. Over the years I have had relationships, but reflecting back I see that I was not being fair to myself. I Am What I Am. I know that my Higher Power loves me and I love him.

When it is legal I want to marry the man I cannot live without---Rick. Love is always waking up with the same person next to you--and I smile. Love is sharing intimate moments, sharing times with our families, and being there when times are rough. Each of us have had major surgical operations, family deaths, and tender moments. I know in my heart that he will be there for me when I take my last breath. It is very comforting. We all need to love someone and we all need to be loved. Make this a special day for the individual you love. Always love yourself first. Rick and I took a Chocolate class together for a Valentine's Gift. It is a gift to share learning with your partner.

Suggestion: Take a class with your loved one...Share...

How many of you knew that chocolate grows on a tree/shrub? The well known cocoa from which chocolate is prepared comes from a cacao tree, Theobroma cacao. The tree is named by Linnaeus who was very fond of chocolate and named the tree, "food of the Gods." I have never seen a chocolate tree. It grows in Mexico, Guatemala, India and now is planted in Africa. One of my dreams or hopes is to be photographed next to a Theobroma tree/shrub. A fellow herbalist who saw the tree at the Botanical Gardens in Rio de Janeiro described it as 'not what I thought it would be'.

Botanically it is interesting that the numerous small flowers grow directly from the twigs and branches, instead of from the leaves or petioles like most plants. More interesting is that the kernels, the actual cacao beans are encased in a soft white pulp which changes color as the plant grows. This pulp is edible. Its taste is described as similar to a gooseberry. The kernels which are made into chocolate are bitter in taste.


Theobroma only grows 20 degrees north or south of the equator. 50% of the world production of cacao comes from the Ivory Coast and Brazil. Historically chocolate was first encountered by Christopher Columbus but he didn't seem smitten with the idea of bringing it back to Spain. What a mistake he made!


In 1519, Cortez (who founded Montezuma) tasted cacao for the first time. He was impressed and brought it back to Spain. The Spaniards then brought chocolate to Europe and the rest is history. Coffee experienced more personal conflicts from person to person, whereas chocolate never had that problem. Most people tasted it and liked it, but its popularity grew slowly over the years. Chocolate was drunk in many of the European countries.


I am not a connoisseur of chocolate. I know individuals who can tell the difference between Caracas cocoa and Trinidad cocoa. I can distinguish between semi sweet (62%) and extra dark (82%) chocolate.


There are four types of chocolate: Criollo, Columbia, Forastero and Trinitamo.

All types of chocolate contain chemical compounds that can be used medicinally. Four compounds available in the plant kingdom are Terpenes, Alkaloids, Phenolics, and Flavinoids. Chocolate has theobromine and caffeine which are Alkaloids. Chocolate also has major flavinoid properties. The Phenolics and the Flavinoids have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Theobromine is the most important component of cocoa.

Until tomorrow...Medical benefits of chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment