Monday, February 7, 2011

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 8, 2011 USE PAUL D'arco TO RID FUNGAL INFECTIONS

















"Sometimes the people who hurt us the most are people who were hurt more than us." Philipos


When most of us get hurt, we do not think about the possibility that the individual hurting us is experiencing their own pain and suffering. At the time we get hurt we do not think about the person inflicting our pain. We think about the hurt or damage we feel. I feel that if an individual is hurting us, there is some other underlying issue. I pray for those who hurt others--for they do not know any better. There is an old saying that "hurt people, hurt people". Say it slowly and it does make sense. Hurt people often transfer their inner anger onto close friends and family.

I have done this to one of my best friends. Because of the pain I was experiencing, my ordinary words were often interpreted to mean something hurtful to others. I did not mean it that way. Also, emails can be interpreted in ways other than the way they were intended. I have seen hurt people cry 'racism', 'sexism' and 'homophobia' and use the words unfairly to describe how they were being treated. Now I am very careful when speaking to anyone when I have been hurt. I do not want to be misinterpreted. I know that when I was hurt in the past, I occupied my time with busyness or work. This was a great way to compensate for my low self esteem. I do not do this anymore. I use hobbies to boost my self-esteem and I try to have more than one hobby at a time.

I have seen many people constantly frustrated or even depressed. Upon talking to them I have come to realize that their past pain is still continually spilling into their present circumstances. I realize he/she must start to practice 'letting go'. I also give a prescription for Meditation and Exercise. All of us have been in this situation. I have been in situations where I over reacted to something because, as they say, "It touched a nerve," or caused an old wound to resurface. I have also seen hurt people medicate themselves with food, drugs, alcohol, other people's prescriptions, and sex. This is where therapy, meditation, exercise and a hobby can be helpful. It is also helpful to learn about your hurt and make conscious choices NOT to follow old behavior.



Fungal infections are more common today than ever before. Older adults have a less active immune system and thus are at greater risk for fungal infections. Similarly, the widespread use of antibiotics has contributed to the growing infection rate (fungal infections are known to occur after antibiotic therapy, which has the effect of killing the beneficial bacteria that normally suppress fungi). We use too many antibiotics in this country. There are natural herbal antibiotics. The most common organism implicated in fungal infections is the ubiquitous Candida, which is found in the human digestive tract, mouth, and genital region. If the bacteria-fungus balance is upset, by the use of antibiotics for example, or if the immune system is compromised, an overgrowth of Candida can occur. Many books have been written about fungal Overgrowth/Candida. The Yeast Connection is one. Fungal overgrowth is encouraged by certain pH levels and the presence of sugar in the body. People with the right conditions for fungal infection such as a high sugar diet are at higher risk. Thus, diabetics are at higher risk.

Most people cringe at the thought of having a fungal infection but in reality, we all have many types of fungi that live on our skin all the time. Most of the time these fungi don't cause any problems, but sometimes a fungus will change and cause an infection. Many people have fungus infections on their toes and sometimes their hands. Many doctors prescribe an oral anti fugal called Lamisil. However, monitoring of the blood for increased liver enzymes is essential to prevent side effects while taking Lamisil.

If a hospital patient gets a systemic (blood) infection with fungus, the patent's health usually takes a downward spiral course. Anti-fungal treatments are NOT without major side effects to the organs--especially the kidneys. The most deadly one is amphotericin B. I used to call this 'amphoterrible'.

Are there herbs that can help with fungus? Yes there are. Before I discuss anti-fungal herbs, I do recommend two other treatments for fungal infections on the toenails. First, you can soak your toenails in your own urine. It sounds disgusting but I have seen it work. It must be your own urine. The fresher the urine the better it is. Men can always urinate on their feet in the shower. The other treatment is the all purpose Vick's Vapor rub. I recall my mother and grandmother always wanted to rub my chest with Vick's when I had a cold. I was so ticklish is was hard for me to sit still. The only drawback to using Vick's is the possibility of getting it in your eyes during the middle of the night if it is on your hands. Wear gloves or use a cotton swab to apply it to your toenails before bed.

The most popular herb in the treatment of fungal infections is Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia). But I do not recommend using Tea Tree oil for genital fungal infections. I have found it to be irritating. I have seen herbalists use tea tree oil on wound ulcers. I have included it in a salve with Chaparral (Larrea tridentata) to treat fungi and wounds. Many people do not like the smell of chaparral. It is easier to find Tea Tree Oil than any other anti-fungal herbal treatment.

The next most popular herb used is the bark of the tree Paul d'arco (Tabebuia spp). The bark acts as an anti-inflammatory. This is mainly due to the prostaglandin and nitric oxide pathways. There are studies where Paul d'arco is used as a lymphagogue (something that promotes the formation and flow of lymph). I have only used Paul d'arco as a tea, prepared using 1 tablespoon of dried bark infused over night. I know some herbalists have used it for vaginal yeast problems as well.

I prescribe fungal free nails from http://www.longevitynutritionals.com/



Other herbs that have been used to treat fungal infections are
1. Black Walnut (Juglans nigra)
2. Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis)
3. Burdock (Arctium lappa)
4. Yarrow (Achillea millofolium)

Until tomorrow...


Top photo: Paul d'arco flowers


No comments:

Post a Comment