Monday, February 14, 2011

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 18, 2011 CURCUMA LONGA








"Through the power of G.O.D. within US, WE are stronger than any of OUR circumstances."


G.O.D. is personal. For me it is not religious. It is spiritual. G.O.D. for me is Good Orderly Direction. I love the pomp and circumstance of religions. I was an altar boy at St. Johns Church. I love the wardrobe. However, I do not need to go to a place of worship to pray or meditate. Do I still go into a church now and then? Yes, of course I do. I light candles for my parents and grandparents. I will also walk into a synagogue and pray sometimes. With prayer, meditation, and the belief in a power greater than myself, I can overcome any circumstance.


Cancer is the second leading cause of death in United States and the risk of developing the disease increases significantly with age. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death. One herb has emerged as an anti-cancer agent. It is Tumeric (Curcuma longa). There are many herbal preparations that have been studied in cancer prevention. Reishi, licorice and saw palmetto have been used for prostate cancer. Some use a combination of cancer inhibiting herbs. These herbs include ginkgo biloba, ashwaganda, triphalia, boswellia and eleuthrococcus.

The American Cancer Society has published results which are alarming. One out of every 3 women and one out of every 2 men develop cancer during their lives.

This should alert the population that other alternatives are needed to combat cancer. Some of these alternatives involve the use of herbs. Curcuma has more than 200 studies to support its use in cancer prevention. Although the NACCM is not currently studying curcuma there are many mechanisms of this herb that have yielded results in combating a wide variety of cancers. These cancer include breast, uterus, cervix and the GI tract.

In Sept 2010, CA Clark et al. studied curcuma inhibiting head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a major culinary spice of India and other Asian countries, and has been shown to have anti-cancer, anti-coagulative, and anti-hepatotoxic properties. Curcumin's anti-cancer effects are exerted upon numerous biochemical pathways involved in carcinogenesis, cell proliferation, apoptosis (programmed cell death), metastasis, and angiogenesis. It suppresses growth of several tumor cell lines, including T-cell leukemia and colon cancer lines.

There are many uses for curcuma in the treatment of other disease. I use curcuma for osteoarthritis, duodenal ulcers and Alzheimer's disease.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment