Sunday, February 6, 2011

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 6, 2011 CHANGING TIMES




"Change is a choice. Not an easy choice, because it really takes work to turn around negativity, but keep making the choice and shifts will happen."

No one will force you to change. If you want to change you will. If you do not change no one gets hurt except you. I discuss change and fear interchangeably because they are related--change creates fear and fear is there because of change or wanting to change. We all have made choices in life. Some of them we feel good about and others we do not. I am sure there are choices you have made that you wish now you had not made. I have made some choices that I wish I could turn back the clock and change. But the truth is I can't turn back the clock. Let's look at some of the choices Ronald Reagan made in his lifetime. Today is his 100th Birthday.

He made a choice to be an actor... Then he made a choice to marry Jane Wyman, a colleague actress. He had a choice to have children. He made a choice to divorce and remarry Nancy Davis and have more children. For better or worse he made a choice to be a politician--governor of California and the 40th President of the United States. He made these choices. In retrospect, he made a BAD choice to ignore the AIDS epidemic at its peak and many of my friends died.

What are your choices in life? I have a choice every single day of my life. The choice to continue a 12 step program or not. For me, this is an easy choice: YES I will continue. For others it may not be that easy. The thought of having a drink or drug does enter my mind once in a while, but it is fleeting. I love the fact that I have a choice not to have a drink. The best accomplishment I have made in my life has been the choice not to drink. I made the change. I changed. I am in love with the man I have become. This is true self-love. Not narcissism.


The mechanical benefits of high intensity exercise cause the cardiac muscle to become stronger. Exercise increases the blood flow by the formation of collateral vessels. Collateral blood vessels form in areas where there may be a partial blockage. Thus the blood flow in an athlete is richer, fuller and faster. These collateral vessels look like a massive spider web of vessels.

Here are some of the mechanical benefits of exercise:

1. Increased efficiency of ventricular contractions
2. Decreased heart rate (or pulse rate) at rest
3. Decreased blood pressure
4. Decreased overall work load of the heart
5. Decreased stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight response)
6. Increased volume of blood pumped to the body
7. Rerouting of blood flow, called collateral circulation
8. Collateral flows around areas of partial blockage
9. Reduced risk of abnormal heart rhythms called palpitations (extra beats)
10. A better YOU

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment