Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 22, 2011 El YUNQUE RAIN FOREST











"It takes courage to grow up and BEcome who you really are." e.e. cummings


I have grown up a lot in the last sixteen years and eight months of sobriety. I thought I had grown up during my medical school days. That was just the beginning. When I began to see my potential in doing my G.O.D. chosen profession, the possibilities in front of me were amazing. Beyond my wildest dreams, I never thought I would ever be this happy. I took a beating during my childhood and high school years from the taunts, harassment and laughter of others. I look back today not with shame but the courage that I withstood what I did. It takes a lot of courage. It takes a sense of will. Individuals can beat your soul down till there is nothing left. But there was a glimmer of hope even in those desperate years of addiction. I had a faith, but I didn't know where to turn. Now that I have faith, prayer, and meditation anything is possible. It becomes even more profound when you have a partner, children and family who support your every endeavour.


Puerto Rico is a country of great resources, both physical and spiritual. The natural beauty of this island is enhanced by the different cultural and ethnic groups found within her land. In 1876, when the island was still a Spanish colony, King Alfonso XII proclaimed that the forest of Crown Reserve would be regulated and protected. It is one of the earliest known forest reserves to exist in the Western Hemisphere. In 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed this 5,116 acres to be the "Luquillo Forest Reserve" which today is known as El Yunque Rainforest. Ever since I read Rosita Arvigo's book on the rainforest in Belize, I have been entrigued by all rainforests. I have decided that with the time left in my lifetime I want to visit Botanical Gardens and Rain Forests throughout the world. So my love of plants continues to evolve.


Both Rick and I are blessed to be able to share this experience with nature. I am in awe of the variety of plants that have managed to grow with the copious amounts of rainfall and winds near the top. Rick and I walked nearly 2 miles in the rainforest. We found out why it is a rainforest as we would have been soaked to the gills if not for our trusty raincoats. I bought them earlier at a gift store prior to entering the El Yunque. I have a new found love and respect for all plant species as well as other wildlife. During each month, the rainforest displays new flowers of different plant species. So I wasn't disappointed when we saw the Zephyr Lily or Rain Lily. I found it similar to the English Water Crocus. It is a member of the family Lilaceae.


Before we decided to go to Puerto Rico, I started to read about some of the plants and wildlife we would see in the rainforest. There are poisonous plants, trees and shrubs on many Caribbean islands, and Puerto Rico is no exception. We were assured that the poisonous species are not near the recreational areas. The one plant we were in search of is the Manchineel (Hippomane mancinella). It is found only on the island's coastal plain. It exudes a milky juice that can cause burns, swelling and even temporary blindness. Maybe it is a good thing that we never found the plant. This plant can be found in Florida too. In Spanish it is referred to as manzanilla ("little apple"). It is the apple of death. Eating this apple can be fatal.


We also found a Stinging Neetle species, Urera chlorocarpa. This is called the Ortiga or Sagebud. The thorns are large. I wouldn't want to get stung by these prickly needles. We also saw The Cabbage Tree (Andira enermis). There are many names for this tree. Of interest to me was the fact that the tree's wood is not only used for lumber. The smooth gray bark has some narcotic, laxative and vermifuge properties. Another magical and mystical plant! Another word for vermifuge is anthelmintics or antihelminthics. These drugs expel parasitic worms (helminths) from the body. Another herb that has the same action is Wormwood (Artesmesia).

There are many insects throughout the rainforest. Snails are large and abundant. Spider webs are all over. Every species of lizard in all colors abound. We didn't get to see the Puerto Rican Parrot almost extinct int he 1970's. If it weren't for the United States Forest Reserve we wouldn't have any Puerto Rican Parrots left. It was appropriate that on the bus ride to El Yunque I was needle pointing two parrot canvases.

Top photograph: Manchineel

Second photograph: Puerto Rico's Lily (Zephyr Lily)



More rainforest tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment