Tuesday, February 15, 2011

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 24, 2011 MORUS RUBRA








"Life is NOT about being right; it's about allowing ourselves to BE who WE are and ACCEPTING others as they are."


It is not about being right or wrong. It is about accepting ourselves and others for who and what they are. I used to think I was always right. Boy, was I wrong. Even if I am right now, I would never admit to it. It is great to finally accept me for who and what I am. I am an individual in recovery foremost, followed by a father, life-partner, friend, and physician. I put physician last because that is NOT the most important aspect of my life. It is a G.O.D. chosen profession. I love my position in the medical community. I would not say I love being a doctor, but instead I love being the doctor I have become. Are you accepting of others? Do you accept yourself for who you are? I think it is hard to accept others if you cannot accept yourself!


The war on cancer treatments continues... In June 2010 the Ohio State Comprehensive Cancer Center conducted a research study on black raspberries. The study concluded that multiple different berry species were almost equally able to inhibit esophageal cancer in rats. We do know that berries contain anthocyanins and ellagitannins. These compounds possess anti cancer and antioxidant activity. Many of the dark colored fruits and vegetables have the strongest anti-cancer activity.


Berries may be small in size but they pack an enormous cancer preventing ability. There are studies on most all berry species. As far back as the year 2000 we knew that berries prevented cancer. The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry studied black raspberries and blackberries. These berries are the best source of antioxidants when compared to strawberries and red raspberries. Blackberries (I call them Mulberries--they look like a little brain) have more tumor prevention properties than blueberries. Blueberries are potent but no longer at the top of the list in 2011. In 2007 The Mayo Clinic website boasted that blueberries contained more effective antioxidants than strawberries and cherries. This was published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.


Berries have phytochemicals and phytonutrients called polyphenols. These polyphenols have remarkable anti-cancer abilities. Polyphenols are fond in stems, roots and leaves of certain herbs like green tea. They are also in theobroma (chocolate), olives and legumes. Red wine also contains a polyphenol called resveratrol.


I grew up knowing the red and purple mulberries (Morus rubra). My grandmother Nanny introduced me to a large purple/red mulberry bush growing in a vacant lot near my home. The block I lived on was Empire Street in Yonkers, New York. It connected Kimball Ave with Yonkers Avenue. At the top of my street (or highest elevation for Empire Street ) was my house. Number ninety four. The vacant lot with the berry bush was at the end of the street that met Yonkers Avenue and was filled with weeds, plants, rodents, and insects, along with one large mulberry bush. I was on the way back from Food Fair with Nanny when she pointed out the bush one day. She was a coupon addict. She and my Poppy used to spend nights cutting out coupons from the local paper. After cutting them up, my Poppy used to file them in a box. I always loved to walk with her and help with anything she was doing because she always told stories and taught me new things. No matter what I was doing, there was always time for a walk with her. She was legally blind in one eye. She would point out a flower or herb and reminisce about when she was young on 2 Elizabeth Street in Little Italy NYC.

Her mother, my Great Grandma Rose knew even more about plants and herbs. They all came from Italy and had little money for doctors. Folks from Italy and other countries had to learn to take care of themselves. My own mother knew these secrets of herbs and the amazing potential of berries. When she was first married to my dad, they lived on the other side of Yonkers and their landlady was an old 'witch doctor' always brewing herbs and making jams, jellies and drinks from berry bushes.

I always picked mulberries from the bush in that lot as a child. I had to be careful for the berries always stained my shirts and my white Keds sneakers. One day I came home ill after playing in the empty lot with my street pals and my brother. I had eaten some unripe mulberries which caused a violent upset stomach and nervousness. This stomachache last 24 hours. It taught me a valuable lesson. Ask questions and read more before you taste a berry. I only remember once when my Nanny picked those berries and gave them to my grandfather, my Poppy. He tried to make a mulberry pie. Poppy was not a baker, but a real Italian chef gifted in preparing pasta, sausage and soups.


Medicinal properties of the mulberry include it as a remedy for tapeworms. Mulberry can also be used as a laxative using the root bark as well as the fruits.



I miss those childhood days with Nanny and Poppy


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment