Friday, June 11, 2010

JUNE 11, 2010 A FROSTY SOY ICE CREAM



"Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have." unknown

I wish I had been the person to write this quote. I can totally relate to this. Can you? I can honestly say I have finally made peace with who I am at this time in my life. Not the person I was at age 14, 24 or 34. Even at 40, I wasn't at peace. My life at that point, although sober, was not peaceful nor serene. It was chaotic. I had to make a choice between sobriety and what my life was destined to be if left on the other path. I chose sobriety and I am grateful that I did. It was the best choice. I am finally content with what I have, and I want for no thing.

It is a weight lifted from my shoulders that I want for nothing. I need nothing except the love I have in my life and of course, the individuals that surround me with love.

For the last three days I have discussed the Medicinal Use of Mushrooms. In relation to cancer, I want to discuss the controversial soy. I recommend a book called The Whole Soy Story by Kayla Daniels as a starting ground. Although new studies have been cited in the last 5 years, this book gives you groundwork for what is right and wrong about soy. Is soy a cancer preventing food? In 1999, the FDA took a stance that surprised everyone - an unusual step of allowing a health claim to be made for soy as a food. The comments, as we say, "hit the fan". Pro-soy and Con-Soy! Bad soy and good soy! Cancer or no cancer!

Studies today conclude that as little as 15 - 20 grams of soy per day can provide a defense against cancer, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and, of course, menopausal symptoms. I believe both men and women should consume 1 serving of soy/day. I have to thank Tierna Lowdog, MD for pointing that out to me more than 5 years ago. Soy does contain a polyphenol known as isoflavone. These isoflavones are phytoestrogens (which means they are similar to a female hormone, estradiol). Just because these isoflavones are phytoestrogrens, it does not mean they are weak estrogens as previously thought.

This leads us to talk about estrogen receptors. There are two: ER-alpha and the newly discovered ER-beta. The activation of ER-beta counteracts the bad effects of the cancer producing receptors, ER-alpha. So why don't you have soy? The most important isoflavone in soy is genistein. Genistein is a highly potent activator of ER-beta, which protects against cancer. There are many health benefits to soy in the literature. Be smart and read. Do not read one source that may be biased. Also, in 1999, the FDA made a claim to approve a food labeling health claim that 25 grams of soy protects against heart or cardiovascular disease. I have found that consumption of betwween 20 - 25 grams of soy is beneficial in lowering total and LDL cholesterol. I have also seen that patients who consume soy have a reduction in the cardiac and regular C-reactive protein. The high sensitive CRP is a marker for low grade inflammation and infection of the coronary arteries.

Tomorrow, I will discuss soy's benefits in diabetes, cancer and bone disorders.

The above cross-stitch is the starting of this season's Holiday ornaments. I know it is only June, but I have to start early. It is of Frosty, the Snowman. Rudolph and Frosty are my favorite Christmas characters. I used to be Mr. Grinch but no longer.

Photo credit: Rick Byrd
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment