Monday, June 7, 2010

June 4-7,2010 Weekend Love for Animals














"The more peaceful you become, the easier time you will have living."

Peace, serenity and love! You need not search. Stop looking for it. It comes from within. I have learned this by taking a different path than I had intended. Now, on the 'path of progress', life seems easier. Serenity comes in different forms. It can come from just sitting by yourself on the beach. It can come from meditating and praying. It can come while you are gardening, collecting wildflowers (I did more of that this weekend) or possibly from the unconditional love from your pet.

"A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside." Denis Waitley

Denis Waitley is one of America's most respected authors, keynote lecturers and productivity consultants on high performance human achievement. I love smiling. It does say a lot about someone. I like to say that the eyes and the smile are the gateway to one's heart.

The unconditional love of our pets makes Rick and I smile. The pets include Grant (Maltese - age 12), Jack (Yorkshire terrier - age 11), Spencer (King Charles Cavalier - age 3), cousin Lily (Lhasa Poodle - age 1 and the ONLY FEMALE) and Gracie (Amazon Double Nape Yellow Parrot - age 8).


Wow, that is a lot of unconditional love! About three years ago, I began to give vitamins, nutrients and herbs to our animals. Is it even possible? Of course, it is. You as the pet owner may investigate these modalities for your pets. Veterinarians have begun to use herbs, minerals and essential oils (aromatherapy) in their practices. There are several books on these subjects.


I wanted to write about this to broaden your knowledge base. I wanted you to know that even animals can benefit from your education about other healing/medical modalities. Holistic practices have gone to the parrots...and the dogs.

I always seem to talk about patient's pets. I find it interesting since I initially wanted to be a veterinarian. I also know it is a way to get to know a patient. I do know that aromatherapy has been studied for dogs and horses. Of course, it has beneficial effects for humans but now we have research specifically for animals. When Grant's brother was living (his name was Cary - imagine Cary and Grant), I used the essential oil Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum) for nervousness and anxiety when he traveled on the ferry to Fire Island. It is also used for restoring mental balance, focus and clarity. I found it useful for the older dog.

I have learned that Bay leaf (Pimenta racemosa) is great as a tick repellent. I use it for both humans and animals (especially on Fire Island). It is also useful as a hair tonic (or for animal fur). I haven't used it on my own hair yet. I am still stuck on Horsetail. It is the high content of the phenol in Bay leaf (eugenol) that makes it a great tick repellent. Do not use any of these products without more reading/study, seeing an alternative vet or asking your own vet.

I think the best essential oil is lavender (Lavandula angustiflora). I was told years ago that it is one, if not the only, oil that can be used without being diluted. It is great for skin conditions and healing. Rick and I will have to try it on Spencer's ears which are pruritic (itching). It also has a calming effect, which he needs when he starts scratching his ears.

Remember to have fun with your pet. If you do not have a pet, go sit in the park and watch the interaction between owners and their pets.

In the picture above, Spencer is on the left and Lily is to the right.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment