Tuesday, June 1, 2010

WILDFLOWER WEEKEND










JUNE 1, 2010

"Integrity is telling myself the truth. Honesty is telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson

Mr. Spencer turned 70 years old this January. Spencer Johnson is known for his 1998 motivational book titled 'Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life'. When I started my solo practice after Dr. Robert Atkins passed away, I gave the book to every one of my employees. I found it invigorating and entertaining. It did change my employee's attitude at work and also enhanced their ability to think before responding. I highly recommend it.

The quote couldn't be far from the truth. Think about it and read it again. We all need self integrity but honesty is not only for yourself but what you tell other people. Little white lies are still lies. I have tried to the best of my ability not to lie. In the past, in a different time and place, I admit I lied. I did not have the gratitude but the attitude at that time. Things are different today. I have matured physically, emotionally and spiritually, which has altered my behavior and the way I view life today.

The last three blogs were about Berries. I missed you all this weekend. The Doctor's House in Cherry Grove, Fire Island did not have internet so I couldn't connect with you all. We discussed berries so I want to share some quotes about berries found in the Bible. These are taken from James Duke's book, Medicinal Plants of the Bible. The only quote I found in the book referred to the pomegranate.

"I would cause thee to drink of spiced wine of the juice of the pomegranate."
Song of Solomon 8:2 (KJV)

I want you all to consider where you live. Have you ever looked at plants around your neighborhood? Was it in Central Park, at your country home, in Fire Island, on your terrace or even in your neighbor's garden? Rick and I walked, observed and sampled wild flowers this weekend in Fire Island. What I used to consider weeds in the past I now see as wildflowers. I look at plants differently. I know now that a plant cannot be identified if you do not observe or study the flower.

The above photograph is a dandelion. Taraxacum is a large genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae. They are native to Eurasia and North America and two species, T. officinale and T. erythrospermum, are found as weeds worldwide. Both species are edible in their entirety. I remember traveling upstate with my parents to a resort in the Catskills called Solazzo's. On the way home, my mother would ask my dad to stop on the roadside. She would collect dandelions for my grandparents. My Poppy loved to cook with dandelion. Dandelion has been used for centuries.

In the Middle Ages, the Doctrine of Signatures became known as the resource for medicinal properties of plants. This doctrine was the first to acknowledge that dandelion could be used as a diuretic to treat water retention. A master herbalist, Dr. Culpeper, recommended that dandelion be used for "every evil disposition of the body". As I was reading this, I said to myself "What does this mean?" We tend to see it in our front or back lawns as a weed yet it is far from a weed. This weekend, Rick and I identified dandelions in the sand/boggy area of Fire Island. It was the same dandelion from the front lawn but a variety--a Dwarf Dandelion. Other uses for dandelion are pre-menstrual syndrome, gallstones, high blood pressure (although I never use it for this) and congestive heart failure (CHF). Since CHF is retention of water in the lungs, I do use both dandelion and an amino acid, taurine, for this cardiac condition. The FDA regards dandelion as safe. I would caution anyone already on a diuretic or blood pressure medication to consult their physician before also adding dandelion supplement.

My recommendation is to eat fresh leaves in a salad or as a vegetable.

The top photograph is me almost one decade ago. June is my birth month. Years later it became a month that emotionally disturbed me. My mother died in June and was buried on or near my birthday. June is also Father's Day. It has always meant a lot to me as I was born on Father's Day and I became a father in 1988 and 1990. June is also a month of rebirth month for me, not only for the flowers in bloom but it is my sobriety anniversary month. Lastly, my parents were married on June 21st. Although they never were to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary, I recall many childhood moments when I witnessed love, gratitude and appreciation between them.

According to the Georgian calendar, which is used over most of the world today, June is the sixth month. On the Roman calendar, it was considered the fourth month and had only 29 days. Julius Ceasar gave the month 30 days in 46 B.C. when he reformed the Roman calendar. Spring ends and summer begins around June 20, 21 or 22 in the Northern Hemisphere. It's the time that the flowers are beautiful. It is especially the month for roses. I love roses. Gems for June are the pearl, Alexandrite and moonstone. I have collected different types of moonstones-- rainbow and blue over the years. On June 1, Kentucky became the 15th state in 1792 and I do know that Stan Laurel was born on June 16, 1899 (a significant day). Tennessee became the 16th state in 1796.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment