Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2, 2010 A CRAVING














"I realize the difference between fantasy and reality--that when the fantasy is realized it becomes whatever it is, not what I've pictured exactly. I am satisfied in this." Thank you, JA

After reading the above someone sent me this:
"Love thy neighbor as thyself. All the rest is commentary. Now go and learn."

The second quote is my answer to the first quote. I feel you must always love someone as if you were loving yourself. I cannot love others or help others if I cannot love or help myself. What I try to express to someone is what I would do for myself. When discussing self-esteem with others, I encourage my own self esteem. When I discuss eating a good breakfast, I myself have eaten a good breakfast yet no one is perfect, especially me. As I always tell myself, "Progress not Perfection".

A craving can come in the form of extreme hunger. As discussed in other blogs, it can come at times of stress. It usually comes when the you are in H.A.L.T--HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONELY AND TIRED. Physiologically, this happens when the blood sugar (glucose) level is low. It can happen 2 hours after a carbohydrate breakfast or around 3-4pm, after a large carbohydrate lunch. When it happens after a large carbohydrate dinner, you sit on the couch in an attempt to watch a movie--and you fall asleep. You know the deal!

With yesterdays blog, Wildflower Weekend, I needed to refocus you on the first lifestyle change yet again. We are still discussing Dietary Lifestyle Changes. I want to move forward with the second lifestyle change, Exercise, but there is still so much to talk about. I am craving a juicy, firm, not too soft Georgia Peach. Now what is this about?!

Some of us go hungry all day, ignoring the body's cravings. Your only meal might be dinner. Think about that--you have starved the cells of your body since dinner the night before. You might have only had a cup of coffee.

What is the cause of your craving?
1. Dehydration can be a cause for your cravings. Dehydration from not drinking enough water might feel like a craving. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It is estimated that half of your body weight should be drunk in fluid ounces. It is a lot of water but also remember you can lose too many electrolytes if you drink TOO much water.

2. The second reason is eating for the wrong reasons - this is the psychosocial eating. You are using food as a substitute for fun or to fill a void. It is usually because you are unhappy. You might be unhappy or dissatisfied with a relationship, not being able to get in your usual exercise routine (or not exercising at all) and even bored at your job since it is not challenging.

3. Listen to traditional Chinese medicine. Some foods have more yin than yang. Yin foods are expansive such as sugar (which is a no no anyway) while yang foods are contractile.

4. If you are not taking proper nutritional vitamins and supplements, then you can experience cravings. There is not one diet that has all the vitamins and supplements needed. This is why I do not believe in one diet for all.

5. Unusual cravings can be experienced when female and male hormones are unbalanced. Women, think about the cravings you might have during your menstrual period, pregnancy or when you are post menopausal. Men experience cravings when their testosterone levels start to decrease.

6. Even the seasons of spring, summer, fall and winter have been linked to cravings. This would make sense because seasons are also linked to depression and anxiety. Who doesn't crave pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving? I do. Even now, as summer approaches, people start to crave that sweet cold taste of watermelon.

Your cravings are real, I know that. Find foods that can be substitutes for the ones you know you cannot have. Having a regular schedule or regimented schedule of exercise, meditation and your hobby balances you and help ease cravings.

In closing, I was thinking what is the difference in women and men in their choice of plants and flowers? I give plants and flowers as tokens of love, of partnership, of friendship, in sympathy, of homage or even of thanks. I want to give a plant now just because I love plants. Have you ever noticed that the first thing a straight woman or gay man does to make a room livable is to place a plant or a vase of fresh cut flowers in it?

Poets, botanists and philosophers describe plants with the most utmost respect. I know many women would describe paradise with color, smell and flowers/plants. How would a man describe paradise? I am not sure. I know I would describe paradise as a garden filled with luxuriant orchids, bountiful convallaria and streams of water frequented by nymphs, pixies or fairies and fish.

Photo credit: Rick Byrd
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment