Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27, 2010 'Into the Country'- We Go




SUNDAY JUNE 27, 2010

"Forgiving is not forgetting. It's letting go of the hurt " Mary McLeod Bethune via Karen M.

This is an excellent quote to start winding down the month of June 2010. It has been a memorable month for me--one that I will cherish in years to come. I have forgiven and I have forgotten. I agree that the forgiving is letting go of the hurt. Who hasn't had hurt in their lifetime? If you think you have not, then you have been absent for some of your life. Perhaps you buried the hurt deep within. It could be a primary cause of your low self esteem. Remember you can always start a day over, and your self esteem can always use a boost up a notch. There is no perfection, only progress. I will end the month with an anniversary meeting at an old home group. It was a surprise to be asked to come to that particular meeting. I have a responsibility to other fellow members, to myself and to God.

This weekend was a gift full of love, gratitude and generosity. Rick and I had a lovely weekend in the country. We city folks say 'the country' when we get out of the Big Apple. For us it means the Hamptons, Hudson, or Fire Island. We had the opportunity to spend time at the Bedford Post Inn owned by Richard Gere and his wife, Carey. It is located in the heart of Westchester, at 954 Old Post Road in Bedford, NY.

Bedford Post is home to an eight-room luxury inn, a yoga studio, and two distinct restaurants: The Barn, for casual dining and The Farmhouse for more formal dining room. We had a great meal with Chef Brian. We even had a surpirse 'pasta' from friend/chef Samantha. We dined and Rick wined in front of the fireplace. A truly unforgettable weekend. I got up very early today and walked the grounds. I had an hour of meditation as the birds sang their morning love songs. With my Newcombe Wildflower Guide at my side, I started to identify flowers. I found Avens, and Forget-Me -Nots in two colors. The afternoon was graced by Tiempo Libre at Caramoor. The Cuban music filled the Venetian Arena. We clapped, sang and listen to hits from their album, Bach in Havana.

Thanks, Ann.
By the way, who is Mary McLeod Bethune?

She was an American educator and civil rights leader (July 10, 1875 – May 18, 1955) best known for starting a school for black students in Daytona Beach, Florida that eventually became Bethune-Cookman University and for being an advisor to President Franklin D. Roosevelt. She became a member of his black cabinet whose concerns were those of the black people. Born in South Carolina to parents who had been slaves, and having to work in fields at age 5, she took an early interest in her own education

Back to medicine and blogging. I have been writing about herbs, supplements and vitamins for Cancer support. Not that I do not want to write, but I must encourage you to buy a book: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It is on the New York Times Bestseller List. It has been on the list for 18 weeks and this week is #12 ( moved up from 13) It does tie in with our blog on cancer. Every science student remembers their professor mentioning HeLa cells when cancer research was discussed in Biology. I know I recall HeLa cells. It wasn't until medical school that I really knew what HeLa cells were. These are cervical cancer cells from the late Henrietta Lacks which taken without her knowledge have been used worldwide and are still alive today. Yet the woman Henrietta Lacks has been deceased for more than sixty years. Its author, Rebecca Skloot, tells a real story. I am finding it captivating and you will also.
I do not know Rebecca nor did I knew the story of Henrietta. She tells a real story especially about Henrietta's daughter, Deborah. If you love biographies you will love this. This is a biography of a woman, her family and the longevity of her cells, HeLa

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment