Saturday, June 12, 2010

JUNE 12, 2010 SOY AND AGING




June 12, 2010 Saturday

"We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9

"Somewhere along the line of [our life] development we discover what we really are, and then we make our decision for which we are responsible. Make that decision primarily for yourself because you can never live anyone else's life..." Eleanor Roosevelt.

I find it so true that I have been guided in these years. Yes, I prayed, but out of times of despair I prayed to get me out of this and I will never do it again. And yet I did it again, and asked for help again. I never prayed when things were going well. Today I pray for a peaceful day. I say Good morning to God. And I get a response. Gracie, our Amazon Green Parrot says, "H-e-l-l-o, Good morning!" My Higher Power has dictated my steps in life. I also pray for those who are angry, frustrated and 'mean spirited'.

I always have admired Eleanor Roosevelt. I even have an old stamp with her on the cover. I think the stamp was 5 cents. Her quote is so appropriate. I do not want to live anyone else's life, despite the road I have traveled. The road with its ups and downs is my road. I had to follow it, trudge up and down those hills, and feel emotion in order to get where I am today. The promises in the 12/12 have all come true, but yet they have been taken away as easily. I must continually work on myself. This is an inside job.

Yesterday I discussed soy and its role in medicine. I do recommend that all have some soy in their diet. Again, not too much and not too little. The soy proteins and isoflavones have beneficial effects on multiple organ systems of the body and to your overall health. By acting on estrogen receptors, soy has a unique capability, not found in other supplements, herbs and pharmaceuticals. I know you have read that soy products are linked to cancer, but recent studies have shown that soy promotes cancer prevention. Read that line again!

The intestinal metabolite of soy isoflavones, called equol has potent anti cancer effects. I do not recommend soy if you have a thyroid issue. In the book, What Your Doctor May Not tell you about Hypothyroidism, there is part of letter from the FDA written in 1999 stating "...there is abundant evidence that some of the isoflavones found in soy...demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid." Today we dispel the estrogen issue although some people are sensitive, just as some individuals with thyroid disease are sensitive to soy. The isoflavones are inhibitors of the thyroid peroxidase which makes the hormones, T3 and T4. There are studies that demonstrate that soy is goitrogenic (thus producing a thyroid goiter). Again, a lot of this is myth, some truth and you the individual must choose.

There is one thing I know, do NOT get all your nutrition from soybeans or any other single source.If you are a vegetarian, do not only eat beans. Eat a variety of protein from other sources. This is called having common sense. Do you have common sense?

Soy has been studied in its effect against breast, prostate, and even colon cancer. A study of more than 5,000 female breast cancer survivors who consumed a diet rich in soy reported a 29% lower risk of death and a 32% lower risk of cancer recurrence. The data is there for breast as well as other cancers.

For other body systems, soy is beneficial for the cardiovascular system in reducing the lipoproteins, especially the bad cholesterol, LDL. There are many diverse metabolic pathways that soy blocks oxidation not only of LDL, but does reduce inflammation and regulate gene expression with a favorable response.

I am NOT a biochemist. I am a clinician. I am a healer. I am reporting fact from literature but in my humble clinical opinion, I have seen beneficial effects of soy. Again you must consider the amount of your consumption.

Any protein source including soy can help with the degeneration process of the nervous and skeletal system. Sine soy reduces inflammation, studies are looking at soy and the prevention of osteoporosis. By the way, males also get osteoporosis, not only the post menopausal female. Soy interferes with cytokines, especially IL-6 which do rise as we get older. It does get very biochemical at this point. The important key point is be informed, do the research so you can make a better intellectual decision for yourself.

Yes, that is Spencer resting above. Thanks to Rick for the photograph. I didn't want to put a picture of soy or a female breast.

All this blogging works from the inside out to give you a healthier look. We must also work on the outside. Yes we are a society of wanting to look good. You can do it naturally. I found out first hand last night. You probably are asking to yourself, "What did he do?" I went to see Tracie Martyn. You will fall in love with her and her amazing work. I was mesmerized. Tracie Martyn has the First all Natural Anti-Aging Skincare line with all natural products. See individuals like Tracie and Marius do care about the environment and natural beauty. I work from the inside out, and she works from the outside out affecting the inside. It is magical healing the natural way. Check out
www.traciemartyn.com

Thank you Tracie and Marius
50 to be is the new 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment