Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18, 2010 Friday A Cruella/Prunella Day




"Avoidance is not the key; surrender opens the door. Be present and let your life unfold."
Thanks KM

Have you ever surrendered to anything? Think about it! For Catholics during Lent, did you give up or surrender to not having chocolate for the 40 days? More than 16 years ago I surrendered or in other words admitted I am powerless over alcohol et.al! During these years I realized that I am powerless over many people, places and things. I often substitute the word alcohol in "powerless over alcohol" to "I am powerless over the political climate, or "powerless over my family". I can substitute anything I choose to. It has greatly helped and assisted me in not letting my mind get too cluttered with too many things.

I have been present for my life. I have to admit at the beginning when my feet were just wet, I listened but my feet did all the walking. I was blind to first love and new friends in early sobriety. Today I hold myself accountable for anything that may have happened.

My life surely has unfolded--beyond my wildest dreams. My heart weakens/saddens when I reflect on that past, but I do not dwell there. I feel the pain and move on, knowing where I am today. Perhaps my Higher Power wanted me to go through those experiences to make me become a better human being- father, doctor, partner, friend and son to those I would later encounter. I have to believe that.

Yesterday we talked about Vitamin C. If you have breast cancer or have had breast cancer, there is no data to start taking Cod Liver Oil. Both Cod Liver Oil and its Vitamin D are linked to breast cancer prevention. Research now shows that breast cancer is directly linked to your Vitamin D levels. In a March 2010 blog entitled The Nutrient of the Decade, I discussed Vitamin D. There are many forms of Vitamin D3. I usually recommend Vitamin D drops by Biotics. Each drop is equivalent to 2,000 mg. I generally suggest 3-4 drops/day = 6,000 to 8,000 per day. Some also use Natural Frontiers Omega 3 with Vitamin D. Both are available at www.longevitynutritionals.com

Some prefer Blue Ice TM Fermented Cod Liver Oil. Did you like the taste of cod liver oil when you were young? Did mom or grandma put a teaspoon or more in your mouth? This Blue Ice will NOT remind you of those childhood experiences.

If you are a breast cancer survivor or at high risk with a first degree relative with breast cancer, you should have your estrogen levels checked by a healthcare practitioner. If you have a higher estrogen level you are at risk. Want to reduce your risk? Do not eat SOY (which is estrogenic) but instead have lots and lots of cruciferous vegetables (broccoli and relatives). Try a Green drink. I add one to my protein shake every morning. You need these greens which have a high ORAC value. In the coming months I have decided to consult/formulate other "drinks" with high ORAC values - like purples, red and oranges.


Tonight in Botany Class we discussed the possible medicinal use of Prunella vulgaris. Part of the Mint Family Lamaceae or Labiatae, it has anti oxidant properties. The two anti oxidants are rutin and quercitin. It is good for eruptive skin problems. 7Song uses it combined with other herbs as a tooth rinse. One student mentioned its use in the treatment of herpes. I will have to research this.

Prunella vulgaris, known as common selfheal, heal-all, heart-of-the-earth, is a medicinal plant in the genus Prunella. It grows from 1 to 2 feet high, with creeping, self-rooting, tough, square, reddish stems branching at leaf axis. The leaves are lance shaped, serrated and reddish at tip, about an inch long and 1/2 inch broad, grow on short stalks in opposite pairs down the square stem. The flowers grow from a clublike, somewhat square, whirled cluster, immediately below this club are a pair of stalkless leaves standing out on either side like a collar. Flowers are two lipped and tubular, the top lip is a purple hood, and the bottom lip is often white, it has three lobes with the middle lobe being larger and fringed upwardly. Flowers bloom at different times depending on climate and other conditions. Mostly from June to August.[1] For medicinal purposes, the whole plant is gathered when the flowers bloom, and dried. The leaves and small flowers of heal-all are edible.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment