Thursday, June 17, 2010

JUNE 17, 2010 CITRUS FRUITS AND CANCER





June 17, 2010

"Thank God for What You Have, Trust God for what YOU need."

"The smallest kindness is worth more than the greatest intention."

I have received lots of kindness over this past weekend. I am still in awe over the weekend's 50th birthday celebration. When it was time to thank all for attending this festive celebration, I was at a loss for words. Can you imagine me being at a loss for words? I was. As I tried to speak, tears flowed down my cheeks. The first to thank was GOD or my Higher Power. I would never have thought to thank God in the past. I also had to be grateful for my sobriety.
I wouldn't be able to do this blog if I wasn't sober. You cannot imagine how this has changed my life.

Let's continue with more supplements and vitamins for preventing/treating/supporting cancer. I love Vitamin C mixed with bioflavinoids, as quercitin. There was a previous blog with a photo of a lemon (from Garden Of Quinn in Los Angeles, CA) that discussed Vitamin C. I do not think I can stress enough the importance of this vitamin. Consumption of foods that are high in Vitamin C is associated with decreased risks of cancers, especially esophagus, bladder, stomach and pancreas.
The possible mechanism is Vitamin C as an anti-oxidant, and immune enhancement.

Vitamin C is very important in collagen synthesis, especially of the gums, skin and teeth.
From the last Vitamin C blog, this vitamin is a potent anti-oxidant and a free radical scavenger. This vitamin is also effective against certain viruses.

We do not see scurvy any longer, as many foods have vitamin C. Remember Linus Pauling prescribed mega - doses of Vitamin C. Intravenous Vitamin C can also be used, but there are few reports of benefits, especially if these cancers are lymphomas. If you use Vitamin C intravenously by a health care provider, please make sure there are other nutrients such as zinc, magnesium, manganese, and B12 included with it. Vitamin C can enhance the action of traditional chemotherapy, but I believe they should never be used together. Vitamin C can also reduce chemotherapy toxic side effects.

Is there an accurate daily dose by mouth? I usually start with 3-4,000 mg ( 3-4grams) and increase based on the patient's bowel tolerance. For example I increase a patient's dosage every 2 weeks until stools become soft. Some may need greater than 10,000 mg (= to 10grams) especially if they are smokers.


An orange—specifically, the sweet orange—is Citrus sinensis. The orange is a hybrid of ancient cultivated origin, possibly between pomelo (Citrus maxima) and mandarin (Citrus reticulata). It is a small flowering tree growing to about 10 m tall with evergreen leaves, which are arranged alternately, of ovate shape with crenulate margins and 4–10 cm long. The orange fruit is a hesperidium, a type of berry.

Tomorrow I am back in Ithaca, so must see how computer connections work in the woods. If the signal is weak, I will be back to blogging on Monday 21st of June

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment