Wednesday, November 9, 2011

NOVEMBER 10, 2011 ALLIUM SPECIES






































"Vulgarity is the garlic in the salad of life." - Cyril Connolly





What is vulgarity? Is it pungent? Does it taste bad? Garlic can taste bad to some people. It is odd shaped - does that make it vulgar? I believe Mr. Connolly was trying to make a point- the point is that vulgarity does not belong in life. It is not appropriate in a conversation, nor in a 'yelling match'. It is immature. To me it conjures up character assassination-- otherwise known as gossip.





We have ALL done it at one point or another. I never liked when vulgarity and cussing was used on the Broadway Stage. You couldn't sit through NOVEMBER without hearing 10 curses in one sentence form Nathan Lane. Is this vulgar or is this art from an actor? I think there is a fine line in the theater.

I make it a point not to be vulgar, nor cuss. I am not perfect.



There is one genus that can make you smile or cry but definitely can make you healthier. It is the Genus Allium. You know the genus by the species in it contains- garlic , leeks, shallots, and onions. There are also scallions and chives. The genus was originally in the Lily Family (Liliaceae) but now it is placed in the Amaryllidaceae Family best known for the amaryllis.




"TOMATOES AND OREGANO MAKE IT ITALIAN; WINE AND TARRAGON MAKE IT FRENCH; SOUR CREAM MAKES IT RUSSIAN; LEMON AND CINNAMON MAKE IT GREEK, SOY SAUCE MAKES IT CHINESE;


GARLIC MAKES IT GOOD." - Alice May Brook





Garlic (Allium sativum) is widely known for its medicinal benefits. I published a paper on Garlic 3 years ago which is available at http://www.fratellonemedical.com/ under published papers. I reviewed many other papers and reviewed the benefits of garlic. There are many species of garlic - hard neck and soft neck garlic. Who do you think is the largest producer of garlic? No it is not Italy, but China. There is even an elephant garlic which is not a true garlic but closely related to leeks.


Next year in the garden I am going to plant many allium species. Onions (Allium cepa) is easy to grow. There is even a tree onion which is a cross between the common onion and the Welsh Onion.


Last year due to the Beekeeping and our 'girls' I planted chives on the deck in pots. Chive (Allium schoenoprasum) is a perennial that produces pretty violet flowers which attracts bees. The common onion with its white/yellowish flowers attracts bees also (see photograph above - credit R. Byrd).




From growing the allium species before with my Poppy I can tell you you must make sure of one thing. The soil for the allium species has to be weed free. If grown from seedlings you must not let these fragile seedlings compete with the weeds. The weeds will win out.



Once the seedlings are well along you can mulch them with a shallow layer of straw and other leaves to prevent weed growth. I never understood why my Poppy surrounded most vegetable plants with mulch in his garden along the side of the house. Now I understand it was to reduce competition with weeds. Little did I know as a child. I sometimes wander in my thoughts wondering what if my Poppy and I could garden together now- how different would it be!





Last year I purchased the book Garlic and Other Alliums. I have been reading this 454 page book continuously between reading other books. There are 800 species of Allium. I was entertained by the history of garlic and its cultivation. I love the history of different plants. I learn more of the history by reading older herb books. I also found out how Allium has been portrayed in literature, poetry and art. If you are a fan of garlic whether involved in medicine, or a cook, or a garlic lover, I strongly recommend this classic book.



Allium species are mentioned in James Duke's Medicinal Plants of the Bible.


"We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick: But our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes."

-Numbers 11:5-6 (KJV)




Until tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment