Monday, November 28, 2011

NOVEMBER 29, 2011 ROLE OF FOOD IN ADHD






























"WE will always get what WE need, when WE need it."


This is so true. Be careful what you pray for. I always seem to get what I need when I need it. Is it coincidence? No, it is not. It is prayer and meditation that bring to me what I need when I need it. I do not need a lot in life. I need a balanced lifestyle. This includes work, relationship, hobbies and meditation.


You would not believe how much prayer and meditation has changed my life. Do you pray and/or meditate? I do not take for granted anything in life. I am grateful for what I have. Do you have gratitude? Make a gratitude list tonight of what you are grateful for. Try not to place any materialistic items on that list!




The role of foods and/or additives in patients with ADHD has been controversial. There is some scientific evidence that supports the use of dietary elimination of certain foods, especially dairy and gluten. In my clinical experience I have seen major changes in behavior in patients with ADHD by removing gluten and cow's dairy from the diet. Elimination of the more suspicious items such as food colorings, artificial sweeteners, sugar and benzoate preservatives may help in 50% of children. There are double blind studies on artificial sweeteners and benzoate preservatives.



There is little evidence for the toxic effects of heavy metals (such as mercury, lead and aluminum), but in my clinical experience I have seen many ADHD patients (children and adults) have a heavy burden of toxic metals per blood analysis as well as provocative urine analysis (which reflects the tissue level)



Studies dating back as far as 12 years ago showed that children with ADHD have lower levels of B vitamins, Vitamin C and zinc. Those treated with these supplements had a decrease in mood disorders, levels of aggression and antisocial behavior.


Years ago I used a supplement called Bio-Strath which was derived from brewer's yeast grown on anti oxidant herbs. This was particularly high in all vitamins, minerals especially the B vitamins. At that time when I was using this product (more than 9 years ago) I had great results, but I was not comfortable with the brewer's yeast. Today I see many children and adults who have a yeast allergy (to bakers and brewer's yeast). I do not use this particular supplement as frequently as I once did.


I do believe in the elimination of food allergens. I do believe no artificial sweeteners should be used. Supplements should be gluten, dairy and yeast free.



I feel since absorption is an issue in patients with ADHD (children and adults) a powdered hypoallergenic should be used. I particularly favor companies like Metagenics and Orthomolecular for these products.


Dietary lifestyle changes are so important in the prevention and treatment of many diseases. Some may even be reversible with dietary changes.



Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. I was still naturally doubtful when I first heard about the good benefits of natural thyroid supplements. It sounded a bit too good to be true. I was a bit skeptical at first. But after using it, it has worked well and has helped me get my healthy life back.

    ReplyDelete