Saturday, November 26, 2011

NOVEMBER 28, 2011 HERBS FOR FIRE ISLAND






















"Give thanks for the unknown blessings already on their way."







Always give thanks to blessings that are known, but special thanks for blessings that have not arrived yet. These are the special ones.







THINKING AHEAD:





At the mention of the word, 'herb' we almost always think of herbs that can be used in the kitchen either to garnish, decorate or flavor salads. I know that every garden looks great with Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). I tend to like bigger Rosemary plants so I suggest the variety called Miss Jessops Upright Rosemary. You can always tell which one the grocery store is selling by its height and leaves. Last year I grew Thyme around the Rosemary. I did that because I read that the thyme flowers will come out after the rosemary flowers are gone. I like the contrast in the garden.



The garden can be decorative. Of course this is all for next season, but this is the best time to think of next years garden. Start planning it now.


One of my friends does not like thyme which I cannot understand but appreciate his difference. He would rather grow Oregano instead of thyme. I thought he would say Sweet marjoram, Origanum majorana.


I will also have some vervain and hyssop. Mint will grow wild in the garden and if not careful can take over the garden. The best Saliva to grow in a garden which also can take over is Sage.


I know next year there will not be as much sun in my garden in our new dwelling. I have to get prepared for this. I am always asked what grows better in the shade? I never knew nor did I care as my garden had sun. So, I am now preparing for my plants in the shade. It does take some reading, planning and preparation, but it will be worth it.





There is no such thing as total shade in a backyard unless your backyard is in the forest. There are plants that grow splendidly without direct sunlight. I am more worried about my herbs. Few few culinary herbs will grow in the deep shade. The herbs I will be planting next season will be


1. Chives


2. Spearmint


3. Parsley


4. Basil


I want the garden to have a variety of scents. This is a very small house - The Little Red House.



I know we need flowers for the honeybees, but some floral herbs will flourish in the shade- The front of the house is under shade from the Pine trees.


1. English bluebells (Hyacinthoides nonscripta)


2. Lilly of the Valley (Convallaria majalis) - abundant around Pride House- the oldest house on Fire Island Cherry Grove ' survived the 1938 Hurricane


3. Lungwort (Pulmonartia officinalis)


4. Periwinkle (Vinca major)


5. Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora)


6. Valerian (Valeriana officinalis)


The nice thing about reading and learning is that all herbs that grow in shade will grow in partial shade so I have another list of culinary and scented herbs that includes Meadowsweet, Lemon Balm and Juniper.





So unless there is a wet habitat that I do not know about I will not be growing Marshmellow, Lobelia and Creeping Jenny.





Growing on Fire Island is rewarding. You may not think it but most plants are tolerant to wide variety of soils and conditions. I will only grow those herbs that will appreciate what my new garden has to offer. I must get running water either in a pond or stream...





Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment