Wednesday, November 23, 2011

NOVEMBER 25, 2011 COOKING AS A HOBBY































"Our spiritual path is like a search leading home."



Some of us are missing something but you can't pinpoint what it is. Have you ever thought that you are missing your spiritual path? This is not your given religion. This is not about attending mass in church, or service in a synagogue. It is about spirituality. It is about prayer and meditation. It is about prayer to whomever you want. You could pray to the universe or to Earth Mother. You could pray to loved ones who are no longer here. You could pray and meditate to a power greater than thy self. Or you could just sit and pray for no reason other than you want to.



I have been giving this topic a lot of thought. Is cooking considered a hobby? When I discuss hobbies to boost self-esteem, cooking always comes up. I never thought it as a hobby, but lately personal experience has changed my thought process.

I think it is culinary therapy for the person doing the cooking. Cooking for some people is relaxing. There is a final product. When you decide to do a hobby you first want to see if you can do it. Some hobbies I do would make others wrists hurt. Those like me who know nothing about the fine art of cooking may not consider the final dish as magnificent as a stitched pillow. I have witnessed first hand from Rick, my chef dejour e magnifice something that never crossed my mind. He has approached cooking as a hobby and not a chore. He has taken numerous classes at the French Culinary Institute as well as classes throughout the city. For him it is not a high pressure job, but a passion and hobby. Ideally he looks at cooking at something he wants to do, not has to do.



He approaches his floral designs in the same creative way. . For some it is a way to relive stress after work and also good for the stomach. As Rick buys me books on almost anything, I am sure to get it right when I buy cooking books or floral design books. Two nights ago, the male version of Julia Child came to life.



A difficult dish with 2 hours cooking time according to the book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Louisette Berholle and Simone Beck -1961 is none other than BEEF BOURGUIGNON. If you want to be American call it Beef Burgundy. It was magnificent. It melted in your mouth. Not only made with his hands but while reading the original recipe from the original Julia Child book. I was mesmerized. For those who do not know about Beef Bourguignon - it is a stew prepared with beef braised in red wine, and beef broth flavored with garlic (an herb), onion (another herb in same genus) and pearl onions and mushrooms added at the end of the cooking. To call what I tasted a stew is unfair - it is a standard of the French cuisine that everyone needs to taste once in their lifetime.

I have witnessed that it is not only the actual cooking that makes this a great hobby. It is the shopping, buying, and the preparation. It is also involves the specific table settings. It is a meticulous, and very creative hobby.


My life is beyond my wildest dreams and I am a very grateful man.

Of note: You have different areas to explore- french cuisine, baking, bread etc



The nice thing for me is I get to taste it all- Rick also has found a great friend/cooking companion- Carol

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment