Monday, November 21, 2011

NOVEMBER 22, 2011 BERBERIS AQUIFOLIUM





































"Happiness is a byproduct of living the right kind of life."

Thanks Karen





What is the right kind of life? Is it a life of giving? Happiness is the 'first drop of morning dew' on a spring day.' This is a type of fleeting happiness. Happiness comes from within. It is not achieved form the outside. I once thought that happiness was having many material objects. I know that is not case. I always thought that 'giving' or buying' for friends would achieve me happiness. I was so wrong! It had a lot to do with my self esteem at that point in my life and my expectations of others. Today I have lots of self love and little to no expectations. I sway into the 'old me' from time to time, but I am human and not perfect. It has been a slow process of progress--NOT PERFECTION.






During my year at the Northeast School of Botanical Medicine I was introduced to an herb that has changed my life in regard to many infections including skin infections. It is Oregon Grape (Berberis aquifolium). It is from the Berberidaceae family. It has a bitter flavor (definitely not the best tasting, nor the best smelling) It is considered a blood purifier and liver detoxifier.



During the last weeks of school, our class had made a salve with other herbs, but it also contained Oregon Grape. I still have this salve today, and have used it for a variety of conditions.



I even prescribed it to a patient with an open skin wound after having a cardiac transplant. The wound was resistant to most if not all antibiotics. All the 'big machine' antibiotics were tried with no avail. I actually thought this brave, caring, compassionate man would succumb not to transplant rejection, but to infection. I asked the wife to apply this salve and have the patient drink a tincture containing Oregon grape. Last month I saw this patient in my office. Skin wounds and flap operations are all healed. Is it a miracle?


No it is Mother Earth that has provided all with these plants! In clinical studies berberine has shown activity against fungal species, other yeast, parasites and bacterial/viral infections.



In my field of Cardiology I have been researching the studies using berberine for lowering the lipid panel (cholesterol, LDL and even the apo A and apo B levels).


Some of my patients take berberine to improve mental function and depression. Clinically I have not used berberine for mental disorders.


Oregon Grape is NOT the only plant containing this yellow alkaloid with so many benefits. Berberine is found in Goldenseal, Barberry, Tree turmeric and even the Californian Poppy. Because of its yellow color, in earlier times Berberine was used as a wool and leather dye.


For those with slow energy and a sluggish liver I would try a decoction with Oregon grape:







2. 1 quart of distilled water


Directions: Boil slowly for 20 minutes , cool and strain. Leave in a cool place. Take one half a cup before meals (at least 45 minutes to an hour before) This will restore a sluggish liver and help restore your digestion.




I will warn you that the taste for me is not that great. I have great success in using this herb with patients who have cancer, blood infections, hepatitis and HIV.



I use the salve for patients with acne, psoriasis and eczema.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment