Friday, November 25, 2011

NOVEMBER 26, 2011 SORE THROATS - GARGLE, GARGLE, GARGLE































"If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, 'Thank you,' that would suffice." - Meister Eckhart



Do you say 'thank you' ? I know I do! I think it is two words that have been lost in the English language. If someone holds the door for me I say, "thank you." When I get off the tram on east 60th street, I say thank you to the tram operator. I say, "thank you," to my new patients for coming to see me.



I have given up on the expectations that people in general say thank you. If I didn't I would be a very angry and disappointed individual. It seems so logical to say thank you after a good deed is done - but that rarely happens. So what would make me think that without a good deed, anyone would bother to say thank you.



I thought it would be common courtesy. How foreign is that to the human race today?



For today, Say thank you to just one person and see how good it will make you feel.


When was the last time you had a sore throat? You certainly do not want one now as the winter is approaching. Sure there are preventative remedies, but what happens when you have a sore throat today?

Last week a 33 year old white male presented with a sore throat. There was a mild cough, no sputum production and no shortness of breath. He had his tonsils removed when he was 7 years old for recurrent infections. (I could relate to that--I had mine removed when I was four years old at LeRoy Hospital by Dr James Mendola.)



The patient felt achy, fatigued and generally 'not well'. On examination his throat was reddened, no exudate and positive mucous. He has a post nasal drip. Sure he must have allergies but he denies any. He has never had allergy testing. He eats dairy and wheat. I didn't prescribe an antibiotic. I wanted the old fashioned hot, salt water gargle. It is the best gargle for whatever ails you. You know that - your mother told you that when you were a kid! As soon as you feel scratchiness or irritation - start the gargle.


There are other astringents you can add to the gargle as a tincture (1/2 dropperful) or essential oil (1 -2 drops maximum). These could be witch hazel, cherry bark, geranium root and bayberry bark. There are culinary herbs that are also great for gargling. These are sage, thyme and rosemary.

Do not swallow the salt alone or with an herb. The only time I recommend swallowing the gargle is if it is a tea tincture only. The deeper you are able to gargle- the better. You must use a good heaping teaspoon of salt with warm/hot water.

Now if you need more throat care and the throat or tonsil areas need to be swabbed you can make a great combination of herbs. My mother loved Vick's vapor rub for my chest, and gentian violet for the canker sores, and salt water with honey for the sore throat.


Here is a great blend for swabbing:

1. Usnea lichen 1/4 oz

2. Osha root 1/4 oz.

3. Marshmellow 1/4 oz

or

4. Slippery Elm 1/4 oz

5. Ginger 1/4 oz

or

6. Cayenne Pepper 1/4 oz



Both ginger or cayenne are for the brave adults who love 'hot'



Use a large cotton swab and place mixture on area or better yet 1/2 dropperful every 3 hours for 2 days.



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment