Saturday, December 10, 2011

DECEMBER 10-11, 2011 THE THOMSONIANISM HERBS







" "Happiness depends upon ourselves." - Aristotle




How true! I cannot look for happiness in someone else or something. I have to look at myself for happiness. I and only I can determine my own destiny. Many years ago I used to look for happiness in other people. I used to try to buy happiness through other people. I thought the more I give materialistically, the more love and happiness I would get from that individual in my life. How wrong I was! I began to search deep inside my core to find happiness. It didn't take a day or a month, it took years to find my own happiness.




Samuel Thomson (1769 - 1843) was a forerunner in the herbal movement during the 1880's. His belief was the use of two specific herbs for the following uses:

1. purgative herb- detoxifier

2. a warming herb

Both the purgative herb, Lobelia (Lobelia inflata) and the warming herb, Cayenne pepper (Capsicum frutescens) were used extensively for any malady. I find this very interesting. These two herbs gave rise the Eclectic Movement which gave rise to herbalism as we know it today. I love to listen to herbalists talk of the Eclectic Movement. This is when herbalism was conventional in this country. Of course this is before the American Medical Association and sub specialities in medicine. This was before insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. Herbs are medicines.

What is my role today? My role is to spread the word. Many organizations and foundations are doing this. One of those organizations is the non profit corporation called UNITED PLANT SAVERS. Check out http://www.unitedplantsavers.org/ I would look at their web site and join. You membership contribution can save a plant.


Yes I truly mean save a plant. When I looked at the "AT RISK" plants I was not only surprised but couldn't understand why. Some of these plants are American ginseng, Black Cohosh, Goldenseal, Echinacea, Peyote, Slippery Elm and Wild Yam. Some of you may know some of these names. Many people have used goldenseal and/or echinacea for a cold.

There are even lists for the plant "TO WATCH" for.

The United Plant Savers initiates programs designed to preserve these important and vital wild medicinal plants.

Join ... Save a plant today

Photo credit: Rick Byrd, Echinacea in Nampa, Idaho

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment